Chapter 19

Harry wasn't in school the next day. Nor the next. He had decided it was too risky and he didn't fancy the stares and whispers.

"Honestly Harry, why aren't you in school? And don't give me that 'inset day' bullshit again." Paul sat opposite him on his break.

"Something happened the other day and I don't want to go in."

"You can't just not go to school."

"It's not like I'd be doing any work if I was there anyway." He huffed.

"Then what would you be doing?"

"Crying."

"Why?"

"Because of the thing that happened."

"What actually did happen? Did you get a detention or something."

"Don't wanna talk about it. Because if I told you then I wouldn't come here either. And I need the work."

"What happened with your other job?"

"I got fired." He muttered, "apparently it was because I can't talk to people very well."

"Well they're unfortunate to lose you. You're a good worker."

"Thank you." He murmured guiltily. "I'm gonna go to school tomorrow."

"Alright. Do you still want the shift before school?"

"Yeah please, b-but am I able to only do til 4 after school?"

"Sure. Any particular reason?"

"Just need to see someone. Sorry, it's a stupid reason but-"

"It's fine Harry. You better get back out there."

"Y-yeah. Sorry."

//

"Ah, look who's turned up." Louis smirked, "stopped being so pathetic yet?"

"Please don't." Harry said quietly.

"Please don't what?" Zayn leaned against the wall behind him.

"Please just leave me alone today. Y-you can do whatever you want after this but p-please..." He whimpered.

"What do you think boys?" Zayn pretended to think, "should we leave the fag alone?"

Harry physically flinched at the insult, curling into himself.

"Nah." Stan laughed.

"Please, I...I'll do anything after today."

"And what's so special about today?"

"N-nothing."

"We're not gonna leave you alone. You don't deserve it."

"I think you should leave him alone." Liam spoke up, "Niall's friends with the lad. Said he's really sweet."

"Niall thinks everyone's sweet." Zayn rolled his eyes.

"Other than you lot."

"Oh, go away Liam." Louis groaned, "I love you and everything but you're being annoying."

"I'm just being nice." He shrugged, walking off. "You lot should try it."

"Boys! Get to tutor!" Harry sighed in relief as a teacher shooed them away.

"Harry, can I talk to you a moment." His tutor asked as soon as he had stepped into the classroom.

He nodded nervously, stepping back outside the door.