25

She's late

She's late.

I don't know why I thought she would even be on time.

I cross my arms over my chest glancing at all the people walking around on campus. Things are starting slow down on campus. Everyone is either heading off-campus or to dinner. I adjust my sunglasses on my face and check the time. If she doesn't hurry up we will have to wait another day to get this stupid dog checked out. I aggressively shove my phone into my sweatpants pocket. I look up again and see a Carter. Her brown hair thrown into a messy bun.

I resist the urge to smile as I see her holding the dog all while balancing her backpack on one shoulder. Her phone is tucked in between her shoulder and ear listening to whoever is on the other end. A big UNC sweatshirt hangs off of her shoulders hiding her shorts underneath it with a pair of Nikes. I sigh pushing myself off the front of the car and over to her. She finally looks at me. Her brows are bunched together in a stressed manner.

I meet her halfway and extend a hand. She gives me a funny look. I motion for her backpack. The dog perks up on her arm sticking it's tongue out at me. I don't know how or why my teammates and her convinced me to keep this dog.

I have never even had a dog before. How am I going to keep this thing if it comes to that?

"Sorry what, Lacey?" she asks. I resist the urge to roll my eyes as she tries to balance the squirming dog in her hands. She gets the backpack off her shoulder. I sling it over my own shoulder. "Lace, I gotta go. Talk more tonight."

Lacey says something over the phone and she nods her phone before ending the call with her free hand. She tucks the phone into the waist band of her shorts.

"Hi, sorry," she says breathlessly. I chuckle at her as we start walking back to my car.

"Long day?" I ask her adjusting the backpack on my shoulder. She nods her head taking a deep breath. Her eyebrows are still knit together in a stressfully while the dog calmly sits in her arms.

Of course she knows how to make a dog calm.

"Lacey is driving me nuts but whatever," she says waving her hand. I laugh at the motion of it and she glares at me. She narrows her eyes at me as I open the door for her, "Why are you being nice?"

"Am I suppose to be a dick?" I ask her. I raise my eyebrow at her. She shakes her head at me as I lean into the car to throw her backpack in the backseat.

"No. I just am...confused?" she says in more of a questioning tone. I sigh standing back so she can climb into the passenger seat. All she does is stand there, starring at me.

"Carter, stop looking at me and lets get a move on here," I say motion towards the open door. She doesn't budge, she's actually looking behind me. This girl is one of the most stubborn and confusing person I have ever met. "What?"

"Um, I think we might have a problem," she whispers. The dog perks up in her arms. What the hell is that suppose to mean?

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and turn around.