𝖥𝗂𝗏𝖾

Chapter Five,
Lost

They all gathered in the room where Bob lay, a moment that brought back memories of Jim from the early days when they left him by that tree

They all gathered in the room where Bob lay, a moment that brought back memories of Jim from the early days when they left him by that tree. Chloe couldn't help but remember Jim's smile and his last words.

"You'll always be with us," Maggie whispered to Bob, who was smiling, clearly comforted by her words. "Part of us."

"Rick," Bob said, looking up at Rick, who understood his unspoken request. In response, everyone filed out of the room, leaving the two men some privacy.

When Rick eventually emerged from the room, his expression said it all. Bob had passed away.A profound sense of emptiness settled over the room, extinguishing the flicker of hope they had held onto just twenty-four hours ago.

Chloe observed Sasha from a distance as she laid her lover to rest. Sasha was utterly shattered, and Bob's death had left her broken. It was heart-wrenching to witness.

Death, it seemed, had its own agenda.

"This is our route to DC," Abraham explained as he handed Rick a map. "We'll stick to it as long as we're able. If not, well, you've got our destination. Once Eugene reaches those top minds up there, things will start to improve. This group should be there to see it. You should be there to see it."

"They will be," Maggie affirmed.

"We will," Michonne added.

"We will," Rick echoed.

"Let's go," Abraham said, gesturing for Glenn, Maggie, and Cody to board the bus.

"See you soon," Glenn said, offering Chloe and Alli a brief hug.

"Take care," Chloe said as she embraced Maggie, sharing their goodbyes.

"Hey, until we meet again, try not to do anything stupid," Cody said, giving his sister a kiss on the forehead. "Both of you." He then turned to Alli, placing a kiss on her forehead too.

Chloe despised goodbyes, even the temporary ones.

"Take care, son," Brad told Cody as he embraced him before hugging Adam and Tom.

The family was about to be separated once again, and it weighed heavily on them all.

***

Chloe was seated on one of the benches when she noticed Daryl entering the church, accompanied by a guy and Michonne.

"Daryl!" she exclaimed, leaping up from the bench.

"Where's Carol?" Rick inquired directly, noting that Carol hadn't shown up yet.

"It's just us," Daryl replied. "Lost her to the same people who took Beth."