𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖥𝗈𝗎𝗋

Chapter Fifty Four,
Oh Sweetheart

Chapter Fifty Four,Oh Sweetheart

ALEXANDRA WAS ABLAZE, once a home for Carl and Tom, now consumed by flames as they fled to safety. Tom felt grateful that he had made the right choice when he retrieved the letters Carl had stashed in their house. If this was the last time he'd fight alongside his friend, he wanted something to remember him by.

"Carl, come on!" he yelled as he lobbed another smoke grenade, concealing them from their adversaries.

"The sewers!" Carl shouted in response.

"On the ground, kid!" a Savior, who seemed to spot them, yelled but was met with another two smoke grenades that obscured their view. "Dammit!"

Little did he know they were right beneath him in the sewer, a refuge that would not only save Siddiq's life but also those of Tom, Carl, and the others.

"Carl?" Siddiq said as he spotted two figures approaching him.

"It's okay, that's us," Carl reassured him. "Everyone else will be joining us here."

The rest followed Carl's plan, just as he had instructed.

Get to the woods, halfway to the quarry, and cut the lights. Get enough of a lead on them, engage them, and escape on foot.

Little did they know that this might be the first and last of Carl's plans.

"They didn't escape because of what we did with the truck," Tara told Daryl, who was already blaming himself with countless thoughts racing through his mind.

"Even if they did, it was just a mistake. I made one, too," Rosita added. "If I hadn't gone to the Sanctuary to kill Negan, maybe Sasha would still be alive. Maybe she would've gone herself."

She continued. "Maybe everything would've unfolded in exactly the same way. I didn't want you guys to do it, but maybe you needed to. Maybe you needed to work things out to figure it all out."

Nothing was certain at that moment. None of them knew what they were doing, or whether this was a guaranteed success.

"Where the hell are they?" Adam whispered angrily, growing impatient while hidden in the woods, waiting to ambush the Saviors. His son was still in the most dangerous place he could be.

"They're here," Logan whispered, prompting Daryl and Merle to throw more smoke grenades onto the road, while everyone prepared their weapons.

As the cars parked not far away from them, Adam gave the signal to open fire and soon enough, friendly fire from the opposite side eliminated more Saviors.