𝖳𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒 𝖲𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇

Chapter Twenty Seven,
We Screwed Up

Chapter Twenty Seven,We Screwed Up

"Rick's coming. How is he?" Abraham asked Chloe as she was just finishing wrapping Eugene up.

"Bullet just grazed him, but it's a good thing we got him back when we did. Antibiotics we picked up could save him from an infection. Could save his life. That's what Denise did," Chloe explained.

Eugene started coughing as he slowly opened his eyes.

"You here?" Chloe asked him.

"Present," he said.

"Good," Abraham.

Chloe walked away towards Daryl and Alli giving the two some space.

"I was not trying to kill you," she heard Eugene say. "I was looking for a moment."

Later that day Chloe was helping Daryl bury Denise. He volunteered to do it. Through the whole time, he remained silent only stopping every now and then to take a sip of the whiskey bottle she found. He didn't even glance up at her.

She stopped, leaning against the shovel waiting for him to say something, but he never did.

"You were right," she said waiting for a response that never came. "I had to."

"Why don't you talk to me?"

"I talk to ya," he said.

"It wasn't your fault she died," she said.

"I should've killed him."

"Stop blaming yourself, okay? It went the way it had to."

This sentence started to sound like her motto whenever things went wrong. She remembered Tyreese saying it to Bob. It's the last thing she remembered him saying.

"Ya talk about it ain't my fault, hell it is! Remember those guys? The group we went with? I let my guard down and they almost-"

"It wasn't your fault Daryl!"

"-And now I trusted him and she's dead," he said as he angrily dumped the soil over Denise's body.

Chloe threw her shovel away walking towards him. "Will you just stop for a second?" she said.

"If ya ain't gonna help go," he said.

"You don't have to do this to yourself, okay? I don't care what choices you made. And you shouldn't too. You were trying to help them, you still got that one thing that makes us different from them. Our humanity. If we lose it what's the point?"