𝖥𝗈𝗎𝗋𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇

Chapter Fourteen,
Rick

Chapter Fourteen, Rick

"We saw the grenades, Glenn tried to stop him," Chloe recounted to Rick as they both sat on the porch. Rick had taken on the responsibility of questioning everyone who had been on the run, and now it was Chloe's turn. "He wanted to leave him and run. But we made him stay."

"I tried to help him, we all did. But he was in pain, and I knew if we pulled him out of the rebar, he'd bleed to death, but we had to try."

"Then when we got into the lobby... All he had to do was hold the door. But he panicked. Noah, I...we...we had him. I had his hand. We watched him... we watched him die," Chloe's voice trembled as tears welled up in her eyes.

"We came back to find him beating Alli up and trying to get away. That's why Cody beat him up; he kept doing it until Nicholas was out. He almost got us all killed, Rick."

"Do you know what I think? I think that they don't know what they're doing. We have to show them," Chloe said earnestly.

"I don't know if they can see it. How things really are. I don't know if they can yet. They haven't caught up," Rick replied contemplatively.

"What were you planning? You and the others. Dad, Daryl..." Chloe inquired.

There was no answer.

"We have to stay here. We can't blow all this away."

"Yeah, we do. But their rules, we don't answer to them," Rick said before standing up. "Get some rest."

"Where's Daryl?" Chloe asked as Rick turned to walk away.

"Out there with Aaron. They're recruiting people."

"How is she doing?" Chloe asked Doctor Pete as she entered the infirmary, her worry evident, regarding Tara.

"She'll be fine. What happened back there? To Alli," he inquired. "She had some pretty bad wounds."

"She tried to stop Nicholas from running away and leaving us there."

"Got anything you'd like me to check up on?" He offered.

"No, I'm fine, thank you."

"Okay."

"Goodnight."

The next morning, Chloe found Deanna at the graveyard, standing by her son's grave. Chloe hadn't had the chance to check up on her the night before, so she made it a priority to do so first thing in the morning.

"I'm sorry for what happened," Chloe said as she approached Deanna, who was lost in thought.

"I'm sorry too. Is Alli okay?" Deanna replied.

"Yeah, she's okay."

Suddenly, they both heard Reg shout, and they hurried to see what was happening.

They reached the gathering where everyone had gathered around Rick and Doctor Pete, who were engaged in a heated physical altercation. Pete's wife attempted to pull him away from Rick but ended up being kicked by him.