𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒

Chapter Fifty,
Monsters

Chapter Fifty,Monsters

"Guns down...now," Morales demanded.

Chloe cautiously lowered her gun, and Rick followed suit, placing their firearms on the ground. Having known Morales, she wasn't afraid to let her guard down. It was evident that he was a good man, and his reasons for being here were likely born out of necessity in this harsh world.

"So, you're the Rick from Alexandria. This whole time, it was you," Morales said.

Rick responded, "You called your men in for nothing. The fight's out there. It's just me and Chloe in here."

Morales scoffed, "Did you hear what I just said? I know who you are. I saw it in the mirror through the open door. And it wasn't any kind of blast from the past. As soon as I saw you... I knew you'd made the same trip as me. From there to here."

Rick reflected, "Shit, well... well, I guess we aren't the same guys we used to be, huh? 'Cause you're a monster. I called them back because you're a prize, Rick. We've been told. We don't kill you, the Widow, or the King... not if we don't have to. So why are you here, Rick?"

Morales shifted his gaze away from Chloe, and Rick continued, "I know you... Just like before. You're always the guy willing to rush in. But why? What is it you're looking for?" He glanced briefly at Chloe before returning his attention to Rick.

Morales commented, "Nothing to say, huh?"

Then he went on, "It doesn't matter. Not anymore. Not for you or anyone else you brought in here. 'Cause what's left of my people... They're coming. And we'll get you to Negan. Or we won't. Either way, we're gonna settle your shit, Peaches."

"Morales," Chloe whispered. "You don't have to do this. We... he... Negan, he did a lot of terrible things."

Morales turned his gaze to Chloe, scrutinizing her face, and asked, "Chloe, you're on Negan's wanted list too. What's it you did that made him so fond of you?"

Chloe remained silent, trying to discern any remnants of the old Morales in his eyes.

Rick inquired, "Is your family here?"

Morales shared his tragic story, "We never made it to Birmingham. They didn't."

Rick expressed sympathy, "Well, I'm sorry."

Morales questioned the sincerity, "Really, Rick?"

"I am, we lost people, too," Rick revealed. "Lori. Shane. Andrea. Glenn... Negan killed him. Forced him to his knees. Bashed his head in right in front of us. In front of his pregnant wife."