𝖲𝗂𝗑𝗍𝗒 𝖮𝗇𝖾

Chapter Sixty One,
Ghosts

Chapter Sixty One,Ghosts

THE PRIORITY for both sides was the bullet maker. Taking him from Negan and the Saviors would leave them without sufficient ammunition to fight back. Bringing him to their side would provide them with a near-endless supply of ammo to eliminate Negan. That was the sole reason Chloe had agreed to come along.

"I can't help but suspect that the reason I'm being taken alive is, despite... what completely warranted bad blood exists between us, you still harbour a vestigial nostalgia for our erstwhile camaraderie," Eugene said, his voice as incessant as ever.

Walking beside Daryl, with Rosita and Eugene trailing behind, Chloe observed the situation. She saw Daryl draw his knife.

"And in light of that, I'm willing to just shut my grub flap and give you your space until you see such a time as you're ready to break the ice, one travelling companion..." Eugene silenced himself when Daryl abruptly spun around, pointing his knife at him.

"Shut your mouth before I cut your tongue out!" Daryl's anger erupted.

"All right! We've got to keep going," Rosita intervened, pulling Daryl away from Eugene. Chloe hung back, watching the three of them. "They have to be out looking for him by now."

As they resumed walking, Eugene continued to speak. "Thank you. I..."

"Shut up," Rosita shouted, her patience wearing thin. "Let's go."

"When I told Negan I made the bullet, it was to save your life. I didn't think. I just acted on your behalf. And I fully expected the crack of the bat to be the last thing I heard, but that didn't happen. And then I thought they would torture me. But they didn't. They gave me a chance to live. And I tried to resist. I tried to rise above my biological imperative, but that is not who I am."

"I know who you are," Rosita confronted him. "You're the reason they were able to escape the Sanctuary. Everything that's happened since then, everyone who's died, that's on you."

"Rick and Adam are the ones who pushed us all to take the Saviors on. They're the ones who jumped headlong into this shit-storm with no waders," Eugene defended himself, causing Chloe to spin around and press her pistol to his chin.

"You're selfish, and you're a coward, and you're a traitor. You turned your back on the only friends you ever had. Shooting you in the head right here would actually make the world a better place," Chloe hissed before yanking the gun away from him, leaving him trembling in fear.

"But we're not gonna kill you, not because we give a damn about you. We just need what's in there!" Chloe stated, slapping his head to emphasize their purpose.