𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖭𝗂𝗇𝖾

Chapter Fifty-Eight,
Mayhem

Chapter Fifty-Eight,Mayhem

EVEN IN THE VELVET DARK, there is the light of the stars, perhaps a promise that even when we yearn for the light of the sun there will be those stars to bring the hope of the dawn. It is always the light we crave, for without it, what is our world? Would we become creatures of the night forever, to scuttle and hide from our predators? Either way, we seek the light, the chance to stand up, be strong, and fight. For the ability to see others and ourselves.

Under a sky of perfect midnight velvet, under stars so brilliant they drew the eyes heaven-bound, the lyrics of "Starry, Starry Night" played softly in Chloe's mind. As the light twinkled and the unheard music played, her steps fell lightly over the rutted path.

Perhaps it was the drugs that she took to ease the pain, but the stars above glowed large like street lamps. Each one was more of a sallow yellow orb than a brilliant pinprick of white.

Once gravity had brought Chloe's body horizontal to the wet grass, the starry night was all she saw, all she cared about.

"Hey," she heard Daryl say as he lowered himself to the ground beside her.

"Hi," she whispered, not taking her eyes off the sky.

"Here, you haven't eaten anything, did you?" he said, placing a plate beside her.

"No," she mumbled.

"Come on, sit up, you should eat, the stars can wait," he said, and she lazily sat up.

"No, they wouldn't," she said before taking a small bite from the sandwich.

"You know, him doing what he did proves nothing," he said, causing her to sigh.

"It does, why would he shoot us both and miss?"

"You've got no idea of the asshole he is."

"No, because he's not."

"That's because you know nothing he had done," he said.

"I do, but he changed."

"You don't know that."

"Can we just not talk about him?" she mumbled before taking another bite.

"Hmm."

"You just ruined my stargazing," she said, teasing him.

"Yeah," he said as he yanked the sandwich out of her hand before he stood up to walk away.

"Hey!"

"You get back to your stargazing, sunshine."