Seven

Chapter Seven,
We Are The Walking Dead

"We're out, just like the other one," Abraham remarked, his voice heavy with exhaustion

It had been three long weeks since they had suffered more losses, but they were determined to keep moving forward, clinging to hope.

Van to van, they had spent their days wandering, with no resources left to sustain them.No fuel.

"So we walk," Rick declared.

No food.

No water.

"We're not at our strongest. We'll get 'em when it's best. High ground, something like that. They're not going anywhere. It's been three weeks since Atlanta. I know you lost something back there," he told Daryl, who walked alongside him and Adam.

"Found this when we were looking for water," Carl said as he approached Chloe, who walked behind Rick, Adam, Daryl, and Carl. He offered her a broken music box.

"What is it?" she asked, examining the delicate trinket.

"I think it used to play music. It's broken. I thought you might like it."

"Thanks, Carl," Chloe smiled as she accepted the gift.

"I used to joke that these things were leftovers from the days of hair shirts. The church actually made... shirts out of hair. So if you wore it, you could atone just a little for your sins," Gabriel shared with Maggie, who walked close to Chloe and Alli.

"I know what a hair shirt is. My daddy was religious. I used to be," Maggie replied.

"If you ever want to talk about your father or about Beth..."

"Please, stop," Maggie cut him off.

"Whenever you're ready, I'm here."

"You never even met them."

"I know you're in pain."

"You don't know shit. You had a job. You were there to save your flock, right? But you didn't. You hid. Don't act like that didn't happen," she spat and walked away.

Chloe understood Maggie's pain, but she also believed it was time to accept Gabriel into their group fully, just as they had with Tara and their newest member, John Murphy. Everyone deserved a second chance.

"We need to find water, food," Daryl stated.

"We'll hit something on the road," Adam said. "It's gonna rain sooner or later."

"I'm gonna head out. See what I can find," Daryl said, with Carol and Merle following him.

"Don't be too long," Rick advised the departing trio.