𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖥𝗂𝗏𝖾

Chapter Fifty-Five,
Thank You

WORDS FAILED CHLOE as she stared into those bright blue eyes burning with fever, her heart falling silent

"I... I don't," Rick muttered.

"Dad."

"How..."

"Dad... it's all right. It's gotta be. I wasn't sure if you'd make it back before... But just in case, you know..." Carl spoke weakly as he took a group of papers from Tom, handing them to Rick.

"I wanted to make sure I was able to say goodbye," he said.

"No, it's them. It's them. They... They don't..." Rick muttered.

"It wasn't..."

"Carl, no."

"I got bit. I was bringing someone back. His name's Siddiq. We saw him at that gas station, before... It wasn't the Saviors. It just happened. I got bit."

Chloe turned her attention from Carl to the man sitting there, staring at them. She approached him and took the bottle of water he had beside him. With a trembling hand, she poured some into a piece of cloth before walking back to Carl.

With a shaky hand, Chloe placed the damp cloth on Carl's forehead and offered a forced smile.

"Is that better?" Michonne asked him as she and Tom helped him recline.

"Yeah... Thanks."

"I, um, I got these," Chloe heard the man called Siddiq say. She turned to see him holding some meds.

"They're over-the-counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories," he said, his voice breaking. "They'll, um... They'll help a little with the fever. They did for my mom and dad."

"Please take them. Your son... he should have them."

Chloe held out her hand for the meds, and he handed them to her.

"Your name is Siddiq?" Rick asked him.

"Yes."

"Did you know he was a doctor? Is that why you brought him back?" Rick asked Carl.

"He wasn't gonna make it alone. He needed us. That's why."

"He was the one at the gas station," Rick said, a hint of regret in his voice.

A loud thump followed by rocks clattering caused Rick to immediately cover Carl, who started coughing as dust rained down on them.

"Water. Give him water," Michonne told Chloe.

"Easy. You got it? Slowly, slowly," Rick said as Chloe helped Carl take some sips.

The explosions continued, causing Michonne to stand up and storm towards Dwight, who stood away from everyone.