𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖲𝗂𝗑

Chapter Fifty-Six,
Swamp Monsters

Chapter Fifty-Six,Swamp Monsters

"If they're smart, they'll cover all these passes between here and Hilltop," Daryl stated as the group gathered around a map he was pointing at.

"We have to keep moving," Logan urged.

"Yeah, we'll just have to risk it," Rosita added.

"Maybe you don't have to," Dwight chimed in from a distance where he was standing.

"Negan won't send his people down into this stretch of swamp, not if he doesn't have to," he continued.

"Yeah? How do you know that?" Tara questioned him.

"Negan wanted to map the best routes with cover from the Sanctuary to the Hilltop. He... He decided the swamp was too dangerous. Didn't think it was worth the risk."

Daryl, Rosita, John, Merle, and Chloe exchanged glances, considering what Dwight had just revealed.

"You aren't seriously gonna listen to him," Tara protested. "It's too dangerous for the Saviors, so you're gonna send us? Are you kidding me?"

"It's the only way," Chloe asserted.

"Yeah, I mean they have us boxed in," Rosita added.

"Tara has a point," Tobin interjected. "Why should we trust him? He could turn on us like he turned on his own people."

"I didn't just turn on 'em. I killed 'em," Dwight stated.

"Daryl saw it. Chloe saw it. Rosita. John," he said before turning to Tara. "You saw it. But one of them got away... So if they find me, Negan puts my head on a pike. I'm not working for them, and I'm not going back to them. I chose my side. This is it. I'm here to help you beat Negan. After that..." he let out a sigh followed by a chuckle. "Well, I know how it ends."

Daryl seemed to look at Merle, who nodded his head. "All right. We try the swamps," he conceded.

"Hey, Tara," Chloe said as she stood up, ready to follow the others. "We can trust him, I know we can."

"No, we don't, Chloe."

"Look, I don't expect you to understand, but he helped me, multiple times, it wasn't just when he let us out. You have no idea what it is like to be held captive in The Sanctuary, you'll never do because you've never been there, and I hope you never but if you do, trust me you'll need someone like him," Chloe explained before walking away.