Eight

Chapter Eight,

A Friend

CHLOE OPENED her heavy eyes after a rough night to find everyone else asleep, except for Daryl, who sat there lost in thought, as usual. She joined him, settling down beside him.

"You didn't sleep, did you?" Chloe asked as Daryl handed her the broken music box.

"Nah, had to fix the gearbox; it had some grit in it," he replied.

"Thank you," Chloe said, taking the music box.

"Are ya okay?" Daryl inquired.

"Yeah, are you?"

"Gotta be."

"Poor two," Chloe commented, glancing at Maggie and Sasha, who had spent the night sobbing.

"You think it's a good idea if we went out, the four of us?"

"Who?" Daryl asked, looking at her.

"Maggie, Sasha, Alli, and I. I think they need it."

"Yeah, it'd be good."

"Yeah," Chloe agreed, standing up, ready to depart.

"Take yer bow with ya. Stay safe," Daryl advised.

"Will do. You get some sleep."

"Hmm."

Chloe proceeded carefully to Sasha, trying not to wake the others as she knelt beside her. "Come on," she whispered before moving on to Maggie and Alli.

The thunderstorm had been a mixed blessing. While it had made the night miserable, it had also trapped a group of walkers under a fallen tree.

"Look at this," Sasha said, pointing at the tree Chloe had her gaze fixed on as they walked by."Should have torn us apart," Maggie commented.

"It didn't," Chloe said, trying to bring some positivity to the situation.

"Why are we here?" Maggie asked.

"You'll see," Chloe replied, leading the way.

Chloe and Alli had a plan. Nothing could provide hope better than a sunrise. It was an invitation to a new day, something extraordinary. The shades of orange and pink that filled the sky promised better days. Chloe just hoped Sasha and Maggie would be able to see and feel what she and Alli did.

"For this," Chloe said as they reached their destination.