Eleven

Chapter Eleven,
Remember

Chapter Eleven, Remember

"We're almost always here after school, so you can come by any time," Ron the new kid they met said, leading Carl and Tom to his room.

"You go to school?" Carl asked.

"It's in a garage. Little kids go in the morning, and then it's us in the afternoon. Probably you, too, right?"

"Probably," Carl replied.

"Guys, this is Carl and Tom. Carl, this is Mikey and Enid," he said, introducing them.

"Hey," Tom greeted.

"Hi."

"Enid's from outside, too. She just came eight months ago."

"Oh, um... is this yours?" Carl offered them the comic book they found in their own house.

"Sorry. We didn't know you guys got that house. We mostly just hang out there and listen to music," Mikey explained.

"That's Enid's," Ron clarified.

Enid rudely snatched it out of Carl's hand and continued reading her book.

"Want to play some video games? Or Mikey's house has a pool table, but his dad's kind of strict about it," Ron suggested.

"It's okay. He's at work," Mikey added.

"Um..." Carl didn't know what to say. They both stood there like fools. This whole place was a lot to process after all the time they spent out there surviving.

"Sorry, I guess we come on kind of strong. We can just hang out," Ron said.

"You don't even have to talk if you don't wanna," Mikey assured.

"Yeah, took Enid three weeks to say something," Ron joked.

"Pull it together, sport," Enid chipped in, causing Tom to glare at her.

"Let's, um-- let's play some video games," Tom finally managed to say.

"Cool, yeah."

"Hello," Chloe said as she entered the infirmary, spotting a doctor she believed was Pete. "I'm Chloe."

"Hi Chloe, I'm Pete," he said, shaking her hand. "Deanna told me about you. Well, this is Erik, you know him. Was checking on his ankle."

"Yeah, how's he going?" she asked.

"He's doing great."

Just then, the door opened, revealing Noah with an older man whom she didn't recognize.

"Doctor Pete, this is Noah. His ankle is injured," the man said, ushering Noah inside.

"I'm Reg. You've met my wife Deanna, but we haven't had the chance to meet," he said, turning to Chloe.