𝖥𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖮𝗇𝖾

Chapter Fifty One,
Mercy

Chapter Fifty One,Mercy

THERE THEY STOOD, questioning a man they had nearly gotten killed, the man lying there bleeding out on the ground.

"Your people back in the chemical plant... did you win?" Rick inquired.

With each passing minute, the realization that their allies might all be dead eroded Chloe's sense of pity for the wounded man.

"No one did," he replied, wincing in pain.

"The hell's that supposed to mean?" Daryl questioned, his gun pointed at the man's head.

He repeated his question, this time with a more menacing tone, leaning closer and pressing the gun to the man's temple. "The hell's that supposed to mean?"

Even Chloe, who knew Daryl well, might have been intimidated if she didn't already know him.

"Everyone's dead."

"Bullshit," Daryl spat.

"There's no one else? You're the only one?" Rick probed.

"Me. The King. The Axe Man. And a short-haired psycho lady," the Savior revealed, struggling to speak between ragged breaths. "You did this. My people... your people... they're all gone. And now...me, too."

With those final words, the man took his last breaths.

Rick removed his knife before Chloe did, offering the man a gesture of respect that, in these trying times, might have held little sincerity. She couldn't be certain if Rick truly respected their adversary.

"Hey. Give me a hand with this," Daryl called to them as he reached for a box atop the overturned Savior jeep.

"Not you," he told Chloe, who had begun to approach, causing her to look at him in confusion. Rick and Daryl lowered the box to the ground without her assistance.

"Got it?" Daryl asked Rick.

"Yeah."

Chloe watched from a distance as Daryl collected the explosives found inside the box.

"We can use these now," he said.

"What?" Rick inquired.

"Think about it. There ain't no Kingdom no more."

"Yeah," was Rick's terse response as he tried to grasp Daryl's intentions.

Chloe understood what Daryl had in mind, and it filled her with dread.

"We know what we've got to do. We blow open the Sanctuary, let the walkers flood in. They'll surrender. It'll be done. Hell, we could end this by sundown."