E I G H T

::::

minho sat at his lonely lunch table monday afternoon, picking at his salad. his new hair color definitely didn't go unnoticed, but nobody has said anything to his face. yet.

he can tell kids at school have mixed emotions, though. he started senior year with brown hair, and then it changed twice and it's only november.

minho himself doesn't really know how he feels about this new color. a part of him is pissed off that he had to give up his blond hair so fast, and at the same time he does sorta like orange. it suits him, and he personality thinks when it styled, he looks good.

in order to boost his confidence, minho wore something a bit out of his comfort zone. he wore a white teeshirt with a cool black jacket, and not-so baggy sweat pants. and as a bonus, a headband.

it was different from his usual sweatshirt and really baggy sweat pants.

minho ate slowly, taking his time due to the long period of time the students get for lunch. unlike the middle school he attended that only gave them fifteen minutes, jyp high school gives them forty-five.

a few minutes into lunch, minho could sense another figure in his presence. expecting jeongin, minho looked up, but was surprised to see changbin.

minho can't even remember the last real conversation the two had. it was probably something stupid like minho teaching the other a dance or just the two deciding what wii game they'll play later on.

but this was years ago.

"hey, minho." changbin greeted, almost inaudibly. minho tensed up, afraid of the reason why his old best friend could possibly want to talk to him.

"hi?" he answered, sounding more like a question.

the two just stared at each other awkwardly, acting like they've never spoken before. the silence tugged at minho's heart. he hates how they were once so close, and now it's like they're strangers. unable to have a comfortable conversation.

"i just want to say i like your hair," changbin spoke, pointing to the others hair. minho nodded at the compliment, feeling as if it was forced, or just an excuse to say something to him.

"thanks," he answered dryly.

changbin sighed, and walked away without saying anything else. minho released a breath, thankful that painful conversation is over.

minho continued to eat, until he heard someone bouncing his way over. this time, it was jeongin.

can't people just leave me alone?

"dude, your hair looks perfect! i love it!" the younger smiled, running his hand through minho's fluffy hair to really see it. minho shivered at his touch, and moved his hand away.

"it's a really cool color on you!"

"thank you," minho repeated for the second time that day. he doesn't know how to reply to compliments, most making him feel uncomfortable.

"what happened on saturday though? you never answered me..." jeongin frowned.

minho cringed at the memory, how crappy he felt the rest of the weekend. nervousness and being bored was suffocating him, he didn't know what his dad would do to him and the anticipation of it was killing him. he's just happy that was the only outburst of the two days.

"oh, my phone...died," he lied, shrugging it off.

to say the least, minho's mom was not happy about the broken phone. no matter how many tries it took to convince his mom it wasn't his fault, she wouldn't believe him. it made minho angry, why on earth wouldn't she believe him?

"well, did you keep the promise at least?" jeongin asked, crossing his fingers behind his back in hopes minho would say yes.

"yeah. i made myself pancakes."

jeongin's face insanely lit up, and minho weirdly felt good seeing the other get so happy. the two talked for a little bit longer, before jeongin returned to his other friends.

after finishing his salad, minho got up and threw the plastic container out. he ignored the other person who was throwing something out at the same time, but they had other plans.

"why does your hair look like a carrot?" they asked, and minho turned around to face him.

he shrugged, "it's not your problem to worry about."

another person then came over, seeming to be the first person's friend, "your whole outfit just doesn't sit right with you. you're better off dressing like the rag you are. stop trying to impress people, cause you're not."

minho sighed sadly, walking back to his table. just like that, his confidence was shattered. the little bit of pride he had in his outfit today faded away, and he defeatedly put his head in his hands as a single tear rolled down his face.

changbin, who saw and heard the whole thing due to his table being near the garbage, frowned. how badly he wants to go over to minho and give him a hug, but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

they're not friends anymore anyway. minho is no longer his problem.

~

minho's outfit in this was inspired by one of the gods menu stages. the stylists for this era for all members deserve an award, because the outfits this era were *chefs kiss*

q: favorite stray kids music video?

a: top! i love that mv, it's so cool and intriguing. the story plot was also so interesting for me, and they all looked so good. i love top with my whole heart 🥰