T W E N T Y - S I X

::::

"minho, changbin, can i speak with you both?" the teacher asked as the two were leaving history class. they both stopped in their tracks, and turned back around to face the teacher.

they walked around to the other side of her desk, where she looked up from the laptop and shut it. she looked disappointed, which honestly scared the both of them. this teacher is known to be sweet and casual, not strict but not a pushover. so when she's angry, you know that somehow, you fucked up.

"it seems like you both worked very hard on the recent project," she spoke, staring at only minho. he gulped, fiddling with the bandaid on his finger while looking down.

"oh, so i- we did good?" changbin questioned, relaxing. he gave a glare at minho, but decided to keep his mouth shut for the sake of his grades.

she stood up, meeting their level. she frowned, "no. you guys failed."

changbin gasped, crossing his arms. "with all due respect, excuse me?"

she opened the laptop again, pulling up the project. "this was a partner project, but only one of you did the job. and that was changbin."

minho let out a inaudible breath, not liking where this was going. "w-what- what...what do you mean?" minho rubbed the back of his neck, nervous.

"i have access to look at the edits. as of what i see, only changbin's account has been shown active. and i thought 'maybe they just did everything from one laptop', but when you both were presenting, minho seemed to know absolutely nothing."

minho and changbin exchanged glances. the younger looked pissed, and minho could feel his cheeks heat up from embarrassment as he shifted his weight from one foot to another.

"i-i'm sorry..." he talked lowly, feeling guilty and embarrassed.

the teacher let out a sigh, "i don't want to fail you both. but you need to learn to work together. i'm sorry, but this will help you learn for next time. now go."

with that, the two walked out of the classroom. once they were in the hallway, minho stopped him.

"changbin, look-"

"are you happy?! because of you, my A+ average is probably going to drop. i busted my ass on this project for the both of us, and i end up getting fucked over in the end! because YOU couldn't do your part!"

minho was taken aback by the yelling, unable to respond. all his words came out as a bunch of mumbles.

"changbin p-please listen to me."

changbin turned to walk away, but minho reached out and grabbed his arm. instead of speaking like he planned, minho froze. it was as if he was starstruck.

so many memories started flooding back to minho with just that one single touch.

"minho! hey, are you okay?" fourteen year old changbin asked when he saw his best friend crying in front of the high school. it was the first day, and the two haven't even stepped foot into the new environment yet. what could have possibly gone wrong?

"i-i don't know," minho mumbled, "i don't know."

"are you nervous for high school?" he asked, noticing how minho was shaking in his stance and stuck in his spot.

minho hesitantly nodded, swallowing a lump in his throat as he stared at the giant school in front of him. "it's gonna be so much harder than middle school. i-i don't want to disappoint my dad- my parents, i mean."