F O R T Y - T W O

::::

minho was relieved to see jeongin sitting happily at their usual spot once lunch rolled around. he uncrossed his fingers that were previously crossed in his pockets, and walked over to the table.

"hey jeongin," minho greeted, flashing a quick smile and sitting down next to him. the two pulled out ther lunches and began eating while chatting about their first few classes.

"yeah, so i didn't do so well on my math test," jeongin sighed, cheeks slightly turning red from embarrassment, "i got a 52%. but honestly anything above a thirty is like a 100% for me."

minho had to hold in a laugh, but ended up choking on his food as a result. in the few months he's been friends with jeongin, he always pictured him to be the kind of kid to always be studying, reading, or practicing. he would have never expected a grade like that from him.

"it's alright, kid. i don't do any better, and a grade is just a number. it doesn't define how smart you are. i say we just cancel math 2020."

jeongin chuckled, nodding his head, "you got that right!"

minho then got up to throw out his empty water bottle and lunch bag, telling jeongin he'll be right back. he walked over to the recycle bin, where he felt himself get shoved.

"hey lee, who's funeral is it?"

minho recognized that obnoxious voice. he groaned, turning around and looking down at his black sweatshirt and black jeans, understanding the insult, that if it was told by any of his friends, would be a joke. he chuckled to himself a little.

minho looked around the room, "i haven't decided yet. you wanna help me figure it out?"

the other, not having any of minho's snippy bullshit, rolled his eyes, "oh stop being such a smartass."

minho slightly smirked, "stop testing my patience, and then i'll stop giving you annoying remarks in return."

the boy was about to turn and walk away, and then he realized he knew how to hit minho where it hurts.

then he'll stop being such an asshole.

"what'd you have for lunch?"

"a sandwich and some chips, why?"

the other raised an eyebrow, smiling to himself slyly, "better watch what you eat, lee. looks like someone gained a bit of weight."

minho was stunned in his place. of all things, he wasn't expecting that.

"what did you just say?" he softly questioned, voice breaking. just like that, all that past confidence had suddenly disappeared to thin air.

"oh nothing," the boy chuckled.

"what did you say?" minho repeated, more hurt that time. the other just satisfyingly walked away.

though nobody was watching, or even heard the conversation, minho somehow felt humiliated. he rubbed a teary eye, walking back to his table and angry shoving everything back in his bag, getting ready to go.

"woah, are you okay?" jeongin asked, confused as to why the other was suddenly in such a rush to leave.

"i have class," minho coldly answered, not bothering to look at the younger. he went to walk away, but jeongin grabbed his shoulder to stop him.

"dude, what happened?"

minho slapped his friends hands away, "it's none of your fucking business!"

he then stormed out of the room, leaving jeongin alone and completely clueless.

::::

minho groaned when he heard a knock on his house door that day after school. he was just gonna ignore it, but the person didn't seem to stop after two, long minutes. minho rolled himself off the couch, lazily fixing his hair before be blandly opened the door.

he wasn't surprised when he saw jeongin at the door, but was surprised to see yeosang with him.

"what." the older questioned when they wouldn't start explaining themselves. the two made their way into the house, much without minho's permission.

"um, come in i guess?" minho mumbled, shutting the door behind them.

"i told yeosang you were kinda not vibing towards the end of lunch. we wanted to see if you were alright," jeongin told, walking over and sitting down next to his friend on the couch. minho then got up and started pacing the room.

"i told you i was fine." he answered, "well, it's been fun! you can leave now."

yeosang and jeongin exchanged unsure faces.

"come on, do you wanna play a game or something to make you feel better?" yeosang then offered, pointing to the gaming closet.

"no! just get out of my house for fucks sake, i told you i'm okay, i can deal with it on my own!"

he then opened the door and forced his friends out, slamming the door shut and flopping back onto the couch face-first. minho let himself cry, just wanting the stupid day to be over.

::::

"the hell did we do?" yeosang confusedly asked as the two made their way to the elders car.

jeongin thought about it, and sadly sighed. "we were good friends. he felt comfortable enough to take his anger out on us."

yeosang nodded, understanding what jeongin was saying.

"let's text him, let him know we'll be ready to talk when he is."

both of them pulled out their phones, opening up the group chat.

when minho heard his phone going off in the kitchen, he dragged himself into the room to see who it was. his face softened as he read the messages from his friends.

jeongin's a child

yeosang 🛹
hi minho, we just want to
let you know that we're here
for you when you wanna talk,
and sorry for coming in so unexpectedly! drink some water,
we hope you feel better!! :)

jeongin 🥺
yes yes what he said!!
we love you! 💜💜

a sudden wave of guilt washed over minho for how he treated them. he typed his answer back,

i love you guys too.

~

i want to burn my school building down istg 🤠