Chapter 18

"...One Direction!"

I froze when those words came out to my mouth. I saw his eyes run to the right side of the wall filled with One Direction photos.

"What a fangirl! So since when?" His eyes widened and saw excitement behind it. "Since they were formed as a band on X-Factor! I first saw their audition and I was amazed by their voices, especially Louis'. Then I began watching them until they were in the band itself in 2010. Until now." I narrated.

I still feel the excitement in my nerves whenever I am telling that story to Chandler.

"That's why you were so glad when I sang Little Things during the audition. I saw that sticker in your phone case and the background in your laptop earlier."

My eyes glistened. He could remember the little things he noticed. I do appreciate that thing.

"Yes! You're absolutely right." Then he smiled. "You ready? We will surely enjoy."

We walked downstairs and bade Mom and Dad goodbye.

"Reminding you to text me when you arrive there. And no alcohol youngsters! Drive safely Chandler. Before 11, Avery." "Okay Dad! Love you both." "Where's mine?" Aubrey shouted upstairs. "Love you Aubrey!" then we get in the car and drove to the city.

(Kiss You playing) "Heyyy! That's..." before I could finish, he answered it already. "Yeah, Kiss you by One Direction! Now enjoy the trip, lady." We sang and laughed during the trip. I can see the city lights flashing and that made me even happier.

"So where are we heading to?" I asked. "Escape from the city." he uttered. "And follow the sun." I finished his sentence. That was some song lyrics of Ready to Run. It was 6 but the city glowed as if it's not resting. We stopped at a café and bought his favorite Frappuccino and doughnut. I also like that so I ordered the same as his. We drove for a few minutes and arrived at a lake with a rest house just beside it.

"Wow! This is a great place. So calm, so peaceful." I got out of the car and stared at the moon caressing those shining silver waters of the lake. I can feel the cold breeze wrapping my arms.

"I was so dumb. I should've brought my jacket."

Then I felt Chandler's warm hand tapped my shoulder.

"Here. Put this on." He handed me his jacket and we walked towards the rest house. It was a perfect place for thinking.

"This place, you used to be here." I looked at him and he's staring at the bright lake reflecting the majestic moon above.

"Yeah. This property belongs to my Mom's family. We used to be here during summer, when we were kids. My sister Canter and I would set up tents right there and watch the stars and even the Lyrid meteor shower once." I can feel the longing in his tone.

I handed him the doughnut and Frappuccino and we ate, listening to the night's song of calmness. I do not know what Chandler has been though but I bet that was painful. I could sense it in his tone. I just wish I have Mom's psychic powers.

I can hear some laugh just near us; some passersby, but it was no good to the deafening music of peace in the lake.

"You look so troubled." I calmly said. Then he turned his gaze to me. That sparkling blue eyes of him are gone. It was replaced by troubled eyes, full of unsaid thoughts and untouched emotions.

"I am fine. I just remember something." I focused into his conversing eyes.

"When I was young, I was taught to never replace your family for some worldly desires- riches, temporary happiness, fame, manly desires." I saw him cast his gaze to the lake.

"Until now, I hold on to that. When I saw your family do that cute, playful interactions, I understand the principle Dad told me. That family is the center of your life." I saw how he appreciated the little things our family has grew up with.

That was one of the heaviest conversation I had with Chandler. I couldn't find words that could lighten his feeling. Even if I did, I couldn't even bring it up to him. I was so coward. My tongue would curl up whenever I try to speak. I could do deep sighs and taping his shoulder so he, hopefully, may feel better.

Better than words. "I don't know how to sum it up cause words ain't good enough." That 1D song echoed my brain. I don't know if that just come up because of the situation or just because my dumb brain orders it to do so. (If I could just sing for him.)

"You'll be a great head of the family soon. I knew it. You're so family-oriented, man of principles." I know I said the right thing.

Maybe I wasn't just born to admire One Direction but also to change someone.