Chapter 1

Two dark haired sisters wound their way through the murky forest. They slipped around twisted trees; the younger followed the elder.

Both wore cloaks over fine riding dresses and had travelling bags slung over their shoulders and lanterns in their hands.

The sky and the forest below were illuminated as a flash of lightning streaked across the sky.

The elder sister had an expression of grim determination written across her fair features. The younger sister started at the echo of thunder and looked around nervously, clutching a lantern in her hand.

"Slow down, Theresa," the younger begged.

"Keep up, Daphne. We must hurry," Theresa hissed back.

"I can't. I don't know why we had to leave in this weather," Daphne complained, but she tried harder to move forward at a faster pace.

They broke through the trees into a small clearing. Theresa looked around as another flash lit the area around them.

"Because, she's gone right now. Who knows when we would get another chance to escape? We can't stay there another minute. We're almost free."

Daphne hurried after Theresa.

Theresa pushed on. "We are so close. Soon we'll be out of her reach. Come on, keep moving," Theresa ordered in a low voice. There was a triumphant, rebellious edge to her words.

As if to prove Theresa wrong, a bright flash of light illuminated the clearing. It was as bright as the lightening but unnatural in nature.

A disembodied feminine voice rang eerily out towards them from the flash. "My dear girls," it began with a sharp little laugh, "Whatever are you doing out on such a miserable night?"

"We're leaving," announced Theresa with her back straight. Daphne shook beside her.

How had she discovered they were escaping so quickly?

"My ungrateful nieces, you know you can't leave. You belong with me. I've always taken good care of you; there is nowhere else for you to go."

Theresa threw back her head, her dark tresses waving in the wind. "We can go anywhere we choose, Francine!"

"What an improper way to address your dear aunt," the voice chided with mock offense.

Then the voice became softer.

"Theresa, I remember when you were just a frightened little girl and all alone after your parents passed away. You were so happy to have someone come to Waldwick to love and take care of you."

The gentle voice turned its attention to Daphne. "And you, Daphne, were little more than a baby. You don't even remember a time before you were in my care."

Francine paused and both sisters were struck by their childhood memories of their aunt taking care of them.

"Come back to the castle and we will reminisce over our fond memories. Come back, come back to me," the voice cajoled.

Both could feel her words like a physical pull; it was the almost overwhelming urge to return to where they belonged.

Daphne took a step towards the light, but was stopped by Theresa's hand on her shoulder. "We do not belong with her. We are not going," Theresa told her sister in a trembling voice.

She was thankful she could even manage to push the words out of her leaden throat.

There was nothing Theresa would rather do than obey her aunt in that moment. She knew Aunt Francine had their best interests at heart. Aunt Francine would never harm them.