Chapter 34

"Well, what about this?" Theresa asked sharply, gesturing to her form.

"What about what?" Wildwood asked as if it were not obvious.

"How is it that I turned back into a cat? I thought I was cured. Had you set it up that way, in case I tried to escape? What do you want from me?" she hissed, as if she was still cat in truth.

Wildwood smiled slightly at her accusation and she longed to wipe it from his annoyingly attractive face. "I suppose that you've helped me discover the limit of my magic."

"The limit of your magic? Why did you not tell me of this?" she retorted. She was not going to be taken in by his mild comments and his self-effacing attitude .

More than likely it was a ploy designed to make her trust him and she was not going to fall for that.

His wry smile remained. "I did not know. Most spells that I cast are not affected by range; or rather the amount of magic I possess renders range a null issue in most scenarios. Likely I could maintain a simple spell at the farthest point in the world."

Theresa did not bother to respond. She simply waited, brows furrowed and eyes narrowed.

"However, the counter transformation that I cast on you requires a great deal of power to maintain even at close range, even more than a transformation spell would alone. I have to suppress the magic of the original transformation while maintaining the counter spell. Then, there is also the matter of maintaining the spell that hides your trace. Apparently, when the distance became too great I could no longer maintain the heavier spell."

He ran a hand through his hair. "The abrupt return of my magic was rather unsettling. It woke me, then shortly thereafter I realized you had gone. Sir Thomas was quite upset when we discovered your sister had also left."

Theresa frowned, she would not left herself be distracted by Thomas' concerns.

"So you are saying that I must stay near you if I want to remain human?" Theresa asked sharply, although she was pretty sure she already knew the answer.

"That seems to be the case," he confirmed. "For now."

"Then how did you go about your estate business?" she asked.

"Clearly I stayed near enough that range did not mitigate the spell. I did find my work those days oddly tiring. Perhaps that explains that, as well. It's rather interesting."

Theresa realized that she had simply exchanged one cage for another. "That means Francine's spell is still upon me," she said. She did not want any cage.

"That's true," he said and she heard regret in his voice as he confirmed the terrible truth.

Theresa sighed, her anger diminished. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I began to, immediately after I counter transformed you, but you ran from the room to find your sister before I could explain. Then, you were so delighted with your human abilities I found it difficult to broach the subject. Do you recall that I told you I had something to discuss upon my return?"

"I suppose you did."

"Well, this is that discussion, my lady. Don't fear, I will find a way to remove it entirely eventually. It's just taking far longer than I had hoped. Your aunt is strong. Very strong. She rivals the best."

She nodded. She understood, hope failing.

"I thought to visit the library at Rothforth's when we arrive at the capital. It has the largest collection of magical literature in Edelland," he explained.