Chapter 42

Wildwood had not lied, Theresa decided instantly upon seeing Rothforth's library.

Housed in a huge building, it was larger than even the royal library, which had, for a few short hours, been the largest library she had ever seen.

According to Wildwood, most of the books were about or related to wizard's magic. Theresa found it quite overwhelming. How would they ever find anything useful in here amongst everything else?

Theresa was glad when they walked over to a librarian rather than searching themselves. She had not noticed the plump little man because he was almost buried in books.

"Oh! Lord Wildwood! Jim Hatcher! I did not know that you were in the capital! How are you? How can I help you?" he asked upon seeing them. His voice was surprisingly deep for his little body.

"I am well, Professor Erving," Wildwood replied. "Allow me to introduce the Lady Waldwick. We are looking for information on transformations, particularly removing such unwanted spells when cast by other wizards, most specifically for a cat transformation."

Professor Erving nodded his head and looked at her curiously. "A pleasure to meet you, Lady Waldwick. I do believe that we do have a few books that might help you, Lord Wildwood."

He scurried off towards a bookshelf. Wildwood and Jim followed. Theresa followed them, at loss for what she should be doing while she was there.

She watched while the professor climbed up on a book ladder and took down a book that either Wildwood or Jim could have easily reached had Professor Erving asked. He pulled another off the shelf and handed the books to Wildwood.

"Would you like to take a seat and wait?" Professor Erving asked distractedly. His mind was clearly running through all the books in his mental inventory.

"Yes, thank you," agreed Wildwood and he led Theresa over to a couple of chairs. Theresa thumbed through one of the books while Professor Erving and Jim shuffled around the room.

The professor finally brought over a stack of books and set them on a table between Theresa and Wildwood. "I'll see if I can find any additional resources for you in the next couple of days. Borrow these, for now."

"Thank you," Wildwood said. Theresa wondered if she would still be in the capital in a couple of days. If the king ruled against her, she might well be back on her way to Waldwick with Francine.

The sick clenched feeling returned to her stomach, and she could feel her palms sweating. The next day loomed large and frightening before her.

"Shall we go?" Wildwood asked.

Theresa nodded and swallowed past the lump in her throat.

Jim and Wildwood carried the books to the carriage. Theresa sat on the opposite side of them.

"There is a good chance that I'll find a solution in these. Jim is going to assist me," he said, gesturing to the stack of books on the seat beside him.

Theresa nodded although she was not completely convinced.

"Never fear. If I can't permanently return you to human, you can always become my familiar."

"Your familiar?" Theresa stuttered, before she realized he was teasing her. He grinned and there was an amused gleam in his eyes.

"I've never heard of a wizard with a familiar," Jim interjected. "That's the stuff of warlocks."

Wildwood smiled and said, "True enough but as I have told Lady Theresa, a wizard can do anything that a warlock can do and more."

Jim grinned conspiratorially, "He's right about that." He shot a look at Wildwood.