Chapter 46

Theresa enjoyed dancing tremendously. It was easy because Wildwood led her through the movements with quiet competence. She had danced before, of course, but it was better when one had a competent partner that one cared for. She danced once with Thomas but it was not the same.

It also helped when one was not enslaved with their aunt's coercive magic. She brushed the depressing thought aside.

She danced and forced her worries away from the center of her mind.

Then she saw Francine.

Francine was watching her and the thin lipped expression was frightening. Theresa suddenly recalled Francine's command to keep Wildwood at a distance.

Her aunt had threatened him. Theresa stopped suddenly. Another couple of dancers nearly stumbled into her. She muttered her apologies.

"What's the matter?" asked Wildwood.

Of course her change in behavior had not escaped him.

"I need air," Theresa explained, because it was the first excuse to jump into her mind.

"I'll escort you," he offered.

"No!" she gasped. He looked surprised. "I just need a moment to myself."

He frowned and they walked away from the dance floor. He whispered. "I thought that you did not want to be alone. It's safer if someone stays with you."

"I don't want to be alone, but I just need a moment. Please," she begged. Hopefully he would assume it was some female thing and leave her be.

She had to think of some way to pacify her aunt and keep everyone safe.

He still looked puzzled, but he let her go. "I'm going to speak with Her Majesty for a few minutes," he told her.

Theresa nodded and walked the other way on shaky legs. A glance backward showed him go over to the queen. There was an attractive confidence to his steps, probably because he did not know entirely know of the threat hanging over him.

Apparently the queen decided she wanted to dance, because Theresa saw them move towards the crowd of elegant dancers. It was a world that could not be hers.

Theresa turned her gaze away and strode for the door that lead out into the gardens. She walked along the lightened path until she found a bench against some small trees and she collapsed onto it. She propped her head in her hands with her elbows on her knees.

It was not the proper pose of a lady, it was the position of a young woman who had no good options left to her.

She did not know what to do. The path was dark but for the lighting of the path. The sun was nearly gone for the day and the sky was varying shades of rich blue.

She could hear crickets chirping somewhere outside of the gardens and she tried to find some sort of order in her mind.

There were a few facts that she could grasp on to.

There was no doubt Francine was vindictive enough to do whatever it might take to keep Theresa in line. Theresa cared about her sister and more surprisingly she cared about Wildwood. She knew that Francine would be willing to hurt them.

She could not pretend that everything was going to be fine any longer. The look in Francine's eyes frightened her. Francine was surely plotting something and she was afraid for the others as much as for herself.

It left her with only one course of action. She would go to Francine and surrender. At least she could live with the knowledge that they were safely away.