Chapter 30

As she grew nearer, she could see that Thomas was directly behind Daphne. He was far too close for the sake of propriety.

Theresa could tell the exact moment that they noticed her approach. The two jumped away from each other suspiciously, confirming that they had been doing something wrong. Theresa narrowed her eyes and urged her horse closer.

Daphne looked particularly guilty, holding her hands awkwardly behind her back.

"Theresa," Daphne said shakily, pasting a phony bright smile on her flushed face. "Whatever are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," Theresa said, glaring at Thomas. She wondered just what he had been up to with her defenseless and innocent little sister.

"Nothing," Daphne responded quickly.

"Nothing," Thomas agreed at nearly the same time.

Theresa continued scowling as she moved the horse closer to the pair.

Daphne slipped back behind Thomas as if she were trying to hide, her movements awkward and her hands still clasped behind her.

"What's behind your back?" Theresa demanded, looking down at them. It was rather nice to be above everyone for once. She could see part of something long sticking out behind Daphne from her vantage point.

"Nothing," Daphne repeated.

"That's a whole lot of nothing," Theresa commented. Her anger at the situation had faded. Now she just wanted to know what Daphne was hiding from her. She nudged Misty May to the side.

"Is that a... Bow?" Theresa asked, surprised.

"No?" Daphne replied uncertainly.

Thomas sounded resigned. "I think our secret is out, Lady Daphne."

"You're learning archery?" Theresa was shocked. She would never have expected Daphne to be interested in something so common and unfeminine and improper.

Although, to give credit where credit was due, it also seemed like it might be practical. Even men of their class rarely bothered to learn to shoot a bow. Theresa wondered where Daphne had even thought to have an interest in such a thing.

Suddenly, Daphne started babbling with dizzying speed.

"I know that archery isn't really a thing that ladies learn and I know that I should have been embroidering or something but embroidering is a dead bore and I'm not very good at it and what's the point of it anyways!?"

"Then Sir Thomas was showing me around the castle and there was this specially designed bow and I know that it's really unheard of, but I asked Sir Thomas to teach me. You know he's been knighted and he knows all sorts of things like that."

Daphne finally took a breath, but then continued before Theresa could say anything.

"Don't be angry at Sir Thomas, it's really not his fault because I rather bullied him into it and he only did it because he agreed he doesn't want me to be defenseless if Francine comes and I'm sorry I hid it from you, but I knew that you would disapprove and I really don't want you to be angry at me, but I—"

Theresa decided to cut Daphne off before she asphyxiated. "I don't disapprove of you learning archery and I'm not angry," she said loudly.

"You don't? You're not?" Daphne repeated.

"It seems a good idea." Theresa admitted.

"Really?" Daphne asked doubtfully as if she believed Theresa was merely lulling her into a false sense of security.