Chapter 47

Theresa's head throbbed and nausea welled up in her gut. She was uncomfortable and her mouth was dry. Her body ached. Her arm burned where the knife had sliced her.

She could not move. Her first horrified thought was that she was under her aunt's coercive magic again.

But, at least she was alive.

She opened her eyes and found that they were hers to command. Light flooded in and it hurt.

She realized that she was tied securely to a chair in a dingy room lit by wall sconces. There was a gag across her mouth.

She thought that she was alone until Francine spoke. "Oh dear, you're awake. I had hoped that you would remain unconscious. It would have been so much better for you."

Theresa moaned through the gag in her mouth.

"Don't scream, now." Her aunt walked over and pulled the gag from her mouth.

"What? Where am I?" Theresa asked. "What are you going to do?"

Francine stroked Theresa's head gently. It hurt when the hand ran over the lump at the back. "I've done some thinking tonight," Francine explained in an oddly gentle tone.

Theresa could not summon hope that Francine's thinking had led to any good conclusion for Theresa.

"I've always known what I've done to you in the past was wrong, although necessary. However, I've decided to rectify it."

Theresa was confused. Waking up tied to a chair was about as far from rectifying past wrongs as Theresa could imagine. She felt dizzy and afraid.

"I suppose you want to understand. I would, were I in your position," Francine said in a gentle tone that raised the hairs on the back of Theresa's neck. Theresa could only stare at her.

"While I watched you today, I realized how alike our situations are. I spent the greater part of my life being neglected by the people who should have taken care of me. Then your father was born and I was thrown away at the first opportunity. It's much the same with you. Daphne is charming, but she is nothing compared to you, Theresa. She is unworthy of the affection that is thrown on her by everyone around her," Francine explained.

"I love Daphne," Theresa protested, although a small part of her sank since she agreed with part of her aunt's words. Had she not sometimes been jealous of Daphne?

Francine looked musingly. "I love Daphne, too. I suppose I also loved Eric."

Theresa swallowed at the mention of her father.

"Still, he stole everything that should have been mine. When my mother died and my father was free to remarry, he married a woman only a few years older than I and she almost immediately produced the long awaited son. I was never anything to that man and Eric was everything," she said in an oddly singsong tone that was belied by the note of bitterness.

Theresa was struck with a horrible thought that she could not prevent herself from voicing. "Did you kill him?" she asked.

Francine smiled sadly and the lack of denial was answer enough.

"And my mother?"

"A horrible accident."

Theresa could not help the tears that began to slide down her face. It was like they had died all over again. "He was your brother," she said softly.

"I had no choice," Francine explained sadly. "He was a weak man. I should have inherited the estate. I've done better by it than he would ever have."