Chapter 43

Theresa walked towards the throne room. The herald from the previous day had her sit in the waiting area outside.

She did not have to wait long. Daphne and Sir Thomas arrived in the room, predictably together, followed by Wildwood.

"I'm really nervous," Daphne announced. Her pronouncement was completely unnecessary as her hands were visibly shaking and she looked ready to cry. Theresa could feel the knot of tension in her own stomach, but she hoped her feelings were not as obvious as her sister's.

"Follow me, please," said the herald from the door.

They all stood up and followed him. Theresa's dread multiplied until she almost felt too heavy to move forward.

They entered the throne room and Theresa saw that Francine was already there, the better to poison the king's mind. The queen was also sitting on her throne with her calm expression firmly in place.

Theresa and Daphne were directed into the centre of the room, to stand before the throne. Both crouched before him, and then rose when he spoke.

"We have much pondered this problem since it was brought to us," he said.

Everyone waited in hushed silence.

He spoke to Theresa. "There is no question that a transformation spell has been cast on you. Your testimony that you were a victim of compulsion magic also seems legitimate. However, the question of who is guilty of bespelling you remains open."

Theresa's first instinct was to protest, but saw that he was about to say more and did not want to anger him with an interruption. "We must ask you how are you certain that the Lady Francine is the one who has committed these grievous crimes?"

Theresa closed her eyes briefly, and took a deep breath. "Your Majesty, I do not remember when the compulsion began but I know that it was her. When I was transformed, we could hear her voice speaking to us." Theresa was aware of how weak her words were.

The king looked sorry when he spoke again. "Another plausible explanation is that the guilty party was attempting to have your aunt blamed for their crimes."

"Why would someone do that?" Theresa cried, quite forgetting there was an acceptable way to behave before royalty and she was not complying with it.

"We know it seems unlikely, yet it is possible and we have discovered several suspects. Your aunt has taken good care of your properties in this time and they have been far more profitable since she has been your guardian. By all accounts we could find both of you were treated well in the years since your parent's sad demise."

"We have also found no evidence that the Lady Francine is a wizardress of any impressive standing, she has had no formal training and all of our council are unanimous that an incredible amount of magic would be required."

Theresa felt shaky but she said firmly, "If Francine is not the wizardress who cast the compulsion magic upon us then she has paid the wizard who did to do so for years."

"Such questions were asked, but there is no evidence of lost revenue from such an exchange. Lady Theresa, we understand your feelings but we do not have reason or evidence to convict the Dowager Vicountess of Rytham. We will allow the Lady Francine to remain in control of your estates as she has been doing, until you are of age and can decide for yourselves."

The king spoke surprisingly gently, but Theresa could feel his words for the death blow that they were. She barely heard the rest of his statement.

"However, we have not closed this matter. We will continue to investigate and on the occasion of your twenty-fifth birthday or upon your marriage we will readdress the issue. If there were other candidates for guardian—"