Chapter 37

Theresa decided quickly that she adored travelling by horse. She had always loved riding around her estate, but this was better by far.

During the first leg of the journey, each step that that the horse took gave her a feeling of satisfaction. It was the combination of the freedom of riding and the feeling that she was accomplishing something at the same time. It was a marvelous feeling.

The glow of travelling began to wear off after the first few hours and Theresa began to obsessively think about the upcoming confrontations that she would have to endure. Now that the moment was nearly upon her, she was afraid to go before the king.

Somewhere in the gradually solidifying haze of her memories from the days of her aunt's control, she realized with a start that she had already met him once when he and his party had visited Waldwick while travelling.

She had been a perfect lady and their encounter had been brief and superficial.

The vague memory told her nothing about him and all she really knew were the occasional unfavorable rumors and tales that surrounded all royalty, which meant she ultimately knew nothing.

Her aunt knew the king far better than she did. Theresa wondered if that would weigh heavily with him or if he would listen to her and judge fairly. It seemed unlikely he would since her aunt was surely already filling his ears with her serpent's whispers.

Still, she would face the king and gamble her future on hoping that he was just and not the cruel fool others might portray.

She had to try because all their other options were even more unpalatable. She could spend her life hiding from her aunt and inconveniencing Wildwood so that she could remain on the edge of being human. She would live a life of fear, running and hiding.

Or, she could give up and go back to Francine. Her aunt would likely lift the feline spell so she could resume her doting aunt façade, but it would surely be a long time before she let down her guard enough for Theresa to have another chance to escape.

Theresa could and would not live under either of those conditions.

If she could not be somehow free, she thought that perhaps living her life as a cat might be best. She would not run away in the night again. She would give everyone fair warning and she would thank them all for what they had done.

Perhaps Wildwood would be willing to continue to shield her so that Francine would not find her, and she could trust him to see to Daphne. Although they would never say it, it would probably be a great relief to be released from dealing with her problems and they could all simply focus on keeping her sister happy.

"Is something wrong?" Wildwood asked. She had not noticed that he had fallen back to ride beside her until he had spoken.

Theresa shook her head. There was nothing wrong that was any different than what was normally wrong. "I was just thinking."

"About?"

She replied, "About obtaining an audience with the king."

"You'll be able to get an audience. You're the Countess of Waldwick."

"It feels odd to be called that."

Wildwood half smiled. "It's your title. However, think of how I feel, calling a boy 'Lady Waldwick.' That is truly odd."

Theresa laughed a bit. "I'd forgotten. I hope I don't forget if we meet someone."

"No doubt you'll remember if we stumble upon danger. Perhaps attempt to make your voice sound more coarse and deep if you absolutely must speak. You still sound very much like a lady."