Chapter 21

In some remote corner of her mind she heard Wildwood speaking again. "I don't believe that we have had the pleasure of meeting before, my lady. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Lord Keaton of Wildwood, and this is my assistant, Sir Thomas of Harding."

Theresa took in a silent, shallow breath.

"I am Lady Francine, Dowager Baroness of Rytham, and this is the head of the Waldwick guard, Sir Portman."

"Pleased to meet you," Wildwood said. She heard them walk across the room and sit down in the chair directly in front of her.

Theresa felt waves of helpless terror. Would Francine hold her until Wildwood left the room and then secret her away?

"Is there something that we can help you with, my lady?" he asked.

My tale is a sad one," Francine began. "My nieces' and my lives have been of loss. My dear elder brother and his wife died young, leaving my nieces, Theresa and Daphne as orphans. My beloved husband died young of consumption and my parents are gone, so I was forced raised my two nieces alone."

She paused briefly as if gathering herself.

"My girls were doing well, I thought, at least until my dear Theresa disappeared. She had the most startling blue eyes with a hint of purple and black hair. Have you seen or heard anything of her?"

Theresa's heart was in her throat. Would Wildwood give her away now? Did it even matter since Francine knew that she was there?

She still wanted him to deny it. Somehow she would escape again and if he were true she would know where to find help this time.

"I'm afraid not," said Wildwood. He sounded genuinely disappointed that he could not assist.

His acting was good. He seemed just as genuinely concerned as he did about Theresa's problems.

"At first we hushed up her disappearance, certain that she would return, in order to avoid scandal to her name, but she's been gone too long now. Are you quite certain that you have heard nothing? Your reputation says that you are most resourceful," Francine asked. Her voice was rife with the pretence of deep emotional pain.

If Theresa did not know better, she might almost have believed the woman. Her heart pounded all the harder.

Thomas spoke, "I am sorry, Lady Francine. It must be terribly difficult for you." He sounded completely sincere and just as deceptively convincing as Wildwood's words had, but her situation was so dire she could not even summon her typical irritation that he might easily play with her sister's heart. Theresa's form remained as stiff as a statue.

"It has been. I fear the worst. Then there was poor Daphne, my younger niece, devastated at the loss of her sister. She cried every day and then she just went silent. Until one day she found a strange cat and claimed that it was her sister. It had eyes similar to Theresa's, so perhaps that was why she would believe such a strange thing. I told her it was surely not possible."

"Very strange," agreed Wildwood.

Francine sighed, as if her soul was greatly burdened by what had happened.

Theresa knew her aunt's act for the sham that it was and her anger at her aunt eroded some of the fear that was gripping her from the magical prison of her stiff form.

It did not matter if she was trapped; she would find a chance to escape again. She was not going to let Francine control her no matter the sweet lies of the older woman. She would fight every day if she had to.

"Poor Daphne was acting strangely; I began to fear for her sanity. I had her locked up in her rooms for her own safety, of course. The cat stayed with her because she became distressed when they were parted. I summoned the best doctors to see to her."