Chapter 10

Theresa sat on a blanket on the lawn with Daphne and their mother in the shade of the castle. It was a hot summer day and Theresa could hear birds in the trees.

They were eating sandwiches or rather, she and her mother were eating sandwiches.

"Daphne, please don't play with your food. It's time to eat," their mother instructed.

"No," Daphne said with a little pout.

"You must eat. There are many people not fortunate enough to have sandwiches, Daphne, so I'll not have it go to waste," their mother explained patiently. "Besides, you need to eat to grow up healthy and strong."

"I don't like samwiches. I wanna play," Daphne complained.

"After you eat your sandwich." Daphne's blue eyes filled with tears but she started putting small pieces in her pouting mouth nevertheless.

Theresa finished her sandwich and licked her fingers. She was in a good mood. There were no lessons that day and their mother was with them. She smiled. It was a day for fun.

"May I go play now, mother?" she asked, using the manners that her mother had taught her. Theresa had already figured out that the best way to get her way was to please the adults around her. They appreciated manners and general obedience.

"Yes, but stay where I can see you." Theresa's mother smiled down at her, wisps of her dark upswept hair escaping in the breeze and framing her face.

"I wanna go too! Mummy!" Daphne whined loudly.

Daphne was such a baby, thought Theresa. She was always crying and always following Theresa around and getting in the way.

Theresa could hear her mother talking firmly to her sister as she skipped away. Theresa could not wait until Daphne grew up. Three year olds were terribly annoying.

There were trees dotted around the castle grounds and Theresa walked towards one. She looked up into the branches.

She wondered if her mother would get angry at her if she tried to climb it. A quick glance back showed that her mother was fully occupied with Daphne's stubborn antics.

Perhaps it would not hurt if she tried. She had seen common children doing it last time she had gone through the village with her father and it had looked fun.

Theresa pulled herself up onto the first branch and then the second. She was just about to climb up onto the third when she heard a sharp voice.

"Theresa! Whatever are you doing?"

Theresa froze. She slipped back to the ground, feeling guilty. "Sorry, Aunt Francine."

"You're a lady. Ladies should not be climbing trees."

"How come?" Theresa dared to ask.

"That sort of behavior is beneath you. A lady must always act with decorum."
"With what?"

"With proper etiquette."

"Oh." Theresa knew what etiquette was. Her etiquette teacher went on and on about it. "Then what should I do?"

Francine sighed heavily. "Why don't you pick some flowers?"

"Want to pick some with me, Aunt Francine?" Theresa suggested.

"No, I'm busy. I've already tarried too long. Go see your mother."

"Yes, Aunt Francine," Theresa agreed, feeling a bit sulky. Of course, she knew a lady must not sulk, but she felt like it anyway.

Her aunt strode back towards the castle. Theresa whirled around and headed back towards her mother. Daphne was still fiddling with what left of her sandwich.