Chapter 27

Theresa and the chef continued to talk comfortably. When Theresa was done eating she bid her goodnight and went to bed. She had a great deal of planning to do in the morning and she wanted to be energetic and clear minded.

It was time to utilize her human capabilities.

Daphne was predictably sleeping, so Theresa crawled into her own bed.

Talking to Missus Allendale had calmed her considerably. The woman was so steady it was hard to remain upset around her.

Theresa fell asleep almost immediately. She slept deeply and there were no terrible dreams that she could remember.

* * * * *

Daphne's voice was the first thing that she heard. "Breakfast is here, Theresa."

Theresa opened one eye and looked at her sister blearily.

Daphne was already dressed and ready for the day. Theresa wondered what the rush was and then remembered all of the things that she herself needed to accomplish. Not that Daphne knew her plans, but it was still time to get up.

Theresa jumped out of bed. There was a tray of food on the coffee table in their connecting room. Theresa ate quickly, and proceeded to the door.

"You're leaving like that?" Daphne asked incredulously. Theresa glanced down at herself. Though dry, she had not thought to change and was still wearing the clothes that they had travelled in when they first ran away. The skirt was serviceable enough, but it was rather filthy. The dirt from their flight obviously reappeared along with her bag and clothing.

Theresa had probably never been this dirty in her life, at least not without enduring serious reprimands from Francine.

"Perhaps not. I suppose I got used to wandering around as I pleased."

And cleaning herself whenever she had felt the desire. Shame all that grooming had not transferred to her human form.

"I already rang for a bath for you," Daphne informed her.

Theresa's first thought was to argue but she decided just to let Daphne go ahead with it. It was a good idea. She only needed one more thing. "Clothes?"

"There are a couple gowns that should fit you. I had them made when I ordered mine. I figured you would need clothing when you were restored to human."

"Okay," Theresa agreed, feeling bemused. She supposed that Francine and her spells had always taken care of such matters in her mind in the past, or perhaps it was a side effect of not having to worry about such matters as a feline.

She was pleasantly surprised that Daphne was acting so capable. Perhaps Daphne had actually been doing something besides batting her eyes at and going for joy rides with Thomas.

Within a few minutes, servants dragged in a tub and filled with it warm water.

Theresa bathed quickly. It did feel good to be clean, but she did not enjoy it as much as she once would have. Perhaps a small part of her cat side's revulsion to water had remained with her. She hoped it would wear off.

She dressed quickly and Daphne helped her with the laces on the back of the gown instead of calling for a maid.

Theresa used the brush Daphne acquired and worked the knots out of her hair.

It was a horrible mess and she suspected some of the knots were from the night they had escaped Francine's clutches. That suspicion was reinforced when she found a twig at the back of her hair.

In the end, Theresa was glad that Daphne had stopped her. She felt so much more human.

She noticed that her sister had faint circles under her eyes and she felt bad that she had not paid more attention to the strain on her. Perhaps Daphne had been trying her best and Theresa had been been a mite too nit picky.