Chapter 31

It was not very late and Theresa realized she was more restless then tired. "I'm going to get a quick bite to eat," she told Daphne. "I'll come back in quietly in case you're already sleeping."

Daphne did not argue. She really did look tired.

Theresa made her way through the halls and turned down the passage that led to the kitchens. She opened the door.

The room was empty, so she buttered and piece of bread and ate an apple. It had not escaped her notice that she had been eating a lot since her transformation back into her human form.

She wondered if her appetite was related to the numerous spells upon her, or maybe it had been repressed by Francine. Perhaps she would ask Wildwood, he would surely know if magic could have that effect.

Thinking about Wildwood made her want to go to his study. Theresa thought that she might spend a bit of time with him, or rather spend some time learning about relevant basic magic before she headed to bed. Assuming she were to find him there at this hour.

She climbed the stairs leading to his tower, pleased that climbing was again as easy as it had been have been before she was a feline. She really was getting used to her human legs again.

The door to Wildwood's study was open a fraction, which meant that he must be there. She was glad.

Then she heard the muffled sounds of conversation. She inched closer.

"Lady Theresa found us while I was giving Lady Daphne her archery lesson," Theresa heard Thomas say from inside the door.

Theresa froze and decided not to interrupt. She should not listen in, but the temptation was far too great.

That must have been an interesting situation," Wildwood commented lightly.

"I was surprised at how calmly she took it. In fact, she seemed to think that it was a good idea. Lady Daphne has been greatly concerned about her sister's reaction to the practice."

"Well, since they arrived it has be come clear that Lady Theresa has great inner strength and resourcefulness. Not many people could stay within themselves during an unwanted change so well."

"Indeed," agreed Thomas.

"You've heard as well as I have of the cases where the victim is lost to the transformation or other cases in which madness quickly sets in."

Theresa felt a blush across her face. His approval gave her a warm, barely identifiable feeling.

"It seems that she did sink into the cat's mind for that time, though," Thomas pointed out.

"I believe that was a choice she made to escape. I do not believe it was a case of the cat's consciousness overcoming her. She came out of it completely, as if waking up."

"Lady Daphne was most distressed." Thomas almost sounded accusatory.

Theresa frowned.

"True, but the loss of control over her very form surely weighed upon her greatly. I did think that it was time to risk attempting the counter transformation in spite of the inherent risks. I had begun to fear more the dangers to her mind than the possibility of a miscalculation."

Thomas paused, "She was restored, so it appears all fears were in vain."

"Thankfully," Wildwood said. "It could have ended very badly. I still must speak to her more thoroughly on the matter and there is still much to do before the problem is completely resolved."

"Indeed. She's well seeped in magic now."

He cleared his throat. "But this is not why you came to talk to me, is it?"