Chapter 39

Theresa sat in frustrated silence. After a couple of minutes there was a sharp knock on the door.

Theresa stood up and opened it even though she did not want to see anyone. She doubted it was Daphne; her sister would be off somewhere sulking.

"Trying to make everyone in the tavern and inn aware in on the fact we have two highborn ladies here?" Wildwood asked mildly.

Theresa's eyes widened in horror. She had not been thinking rationally.

She had just been so angry with Daphne. She was still angry at Daphne. Her sister could be such a thoughtless fool.

"Fortunately Jim had the presence of mind to cast a silencing spell when you woke him up, so no one but us heard you two after you two really started shouting."

Theresa felt instantly guilty. Wildwood had taken so many precautions and she had almost sabotaged it all by screaming at her sister.

Jim had been exhausted from maintaining spells the entire way and now he had to wear himself out more by covering for them. "I'm so sorry. I just..."

"Heard the happy news?"

"Yes." Theresa did not even bother to pretend that she liked the situation.

"I will admit that Sir Thomas did choose a rather poor time to propose to Lady Daphne," Wildwood said with a frown.

Theresa paused. If she found this so frustrating, how much worse might he be feeling that her sister was marrying his protege?

Theresa decided to try to take his mind off her sister's plans. "I still should not have gotten upset."

"Perhaps, but I've observed that you've much on your mind."

Theresa nodded. "I'm just really worried. But it's no excuse for being careless." Theresa's shoulders sagged.

"Everything will work out," he told her.

Of course he had no way of truly knowing that. Her aunt was a powerful wizardress. There were countless ways this whole endeavor could go wrong and only one way it could go right.

Wildwood must have been able to see the dark direction her thoughts were taking. "Lady Theresa, you are not alone any longer. I will do everything in my power to make certain that she does not take you again."

Theresa looked into his deep eyes and felt an odd sort of assurance that she could not quite identify. It was like trust but it was also more than simple trust.

"You should get some rest, my lady," Wildwood said, breaking eye contact. "Sir Thomas will see to your sister's safety."

He moved towards the door.

"Wildwood?"

He paused with his hand on the door. "Yes?"

"Thank you," she said. She really should have, he had done so much for her.

"You're welcome. Good night."

"Goodnight."

* * * * *

Theresa never heard Daphne return to their room. She supposed that she must have, because Daphne was already dressed and ready to travel when she awoke. Daphne ignored her studiously.

Theresa decided nastily that it was perfectly fine if Daphne did not want to speak with her, because Daphne was an empty headed little fool who contributed nothing of value to the conversation even when she did have her mouth open.

As they continued to travel, Daphne's silence became increasingly more unnatural and uncanny. Never before had Daphne been able to stay angry at Theresa for such a long period of time. Usually she grew bored or needed something and gave up pouting.