Chapter 25

Theresa spent two more days wandering around the castle, trying not to feel depressed while also trying not to care what was happening. Daphne was with her far more than strictly normal and she was growing weary of her sister's presence.

It was almost a relief when she finally disappeared with Thomas again.

The idle passing of time was Theresa's worst enemy. Already, Francine had almost certainly petitioned the king and told him her lying sob story about how sad she was that her nieces ran away because they were deluded and crazy.

Theresa's mind spun even worse scenarios such as her aunt using her magic on the king and being his first advisor by the time they got there.

There had never been much hope of reaching the capital before Francine and that small hope had slipped long out of reach.

Her only hope was to somehow gain an audience with the king in spite of the fact her aunt was telling everyone that she and Daphne were mad runaways and convince him that she was sane.

Not the best circumstances to approach royalty, she was certain. Still, the only option was to try, or live in fear of Francine's pursuit forever.

Of course that was if all her cat troubles had been sorted out.

She still had not progressed beyond even that first hurdle. It was terribly frustrating.

It was easier just to not think and to wander around Wildwood acting like a cat.

So Theresa lay on the sill of the kitchen window, enjoying the light breeze and the afternoon rays when the kitchen had an unexpected visitor.

At the sight of Wildwood, Matt seemed to attempt to shrink into the wall and even Ildri's busy tongue fell utterly silent although she looked happy rather than nervous.

Only the chef seemed unfazed by his presence. "Good afternoon, Lord Wildwood," she said in her usual good humor.

"Good morning, Missus Allendale. How are you?"

"Very well, thank you. Are you looking for Theresa?" the chef asked in a pleasant voice.

"I certainly am."

Theresa thought it was odd for a cat to respond so she stayed where she was and pretended to not be listening. He could carry her if he needed her.

She was becoming quite used to it and she had decided to think about being carried as if she were a high lady relaxing while her servants carried her, rather than as an indignity.

That was certainly how her cat side viewed it. She could not quite remember why she had been so bothered by all the little things before.

As she had predicted, Wildwood was forced to carry her. He did until he was out of the kitchen and down the hall. He set her down rather abruptly. She meowed in protest.

"You'll have to forgive me but when you first arrived you would not have allowed me to carry you. I fear that your cat nature is overcoming your human mind. Now please come with me."

Theresa wondered if she was indeed becoming more catlike.

It was true that she was having difficulty remaining constantly upset about things that she knew were problems, but it was nice not to worry so much.

It was not as if she could do anything about it right now. Perhaps she had simply been too uptight when she was human. Of course, her feline side was quite serious when it came to eating or sleeping regularly, but what more did she need?

While she pondered, she followed Wildwood. He led her to his tower and up to his study.

She looked at him, waiting for him to explain. He seemed to be thinking of where to start, or what words to use.