Chapter 18

Wildwood had explained to Theresa he needed a break, although she wondered if he was not politely trying to give her one instead. Theresa spent the rest of the afternoon slinking around the nearly empty corridors.

One time she saw Missus White, but she hid out of the way because she was not in the mood to deal with the unpleasant woman. She did not care if the behavior was catlike or not.

After some endless amount of time skulking around while trying not to think of magical miscalculations Theresa felt herself starting to get hungry.

Glad to have something else to think about, she made her way over to the kitchen and scratched on the door. What was the point in attempting to act human? She would just do what she felt like doing.

The door opened almost immediately. "Alice!" crooned Ildri.

"Her name isn't Alice, Ildri. Her name is Theresa," Theresa heard the chef correct.

"She doesn't mind, do you, you beautiful lady?" Ildri said, picking up Theresa and beginning to pet her.

Theresa did not mind in spite of herself. She knew that it was undignified and she should feel affronted, but what did it matter?

Ildri continued to stroke her back as she carried her across the room. Theresa could feel herself purring and tried to stop it. It did not work. "She's got such beautiful eyes. I've never seen a cat with eyes this color."

"It's an unusual color, certainly," agreed the chef. "Now put her down, Ildri and get back to your tasks."

"Can I just get her something to eat?" Ildri asked.

"Yes, just hurry. It's almost supper. You know food doesn't cook itself."

Ildri set Theresa down and gave her some pieces of meat in a dish. Ildri went back to work. Theresa ate them gratefully and was quickly finished.

She glanced at the door that seemed to lead outside. They would likely let her out. It was worth a try. She walked over and scratched at it.

Chef walked over. "Would you like to go outside?"

Theresa glanced at Ildri. She was not looking. Theresa quickly nodded.

"Just make sure that you return before dark. I'll leave the window open for you."

Theresa nodded.

Ildri was rolling pie crusts on a floured board. She did not look up, but she said, "It's not like she can understand you. What if she gets lost? I'm not sure that it's a good idea to let her out. Will we get in trouble if Lady Daphne's cat disappears?"

"It will be fine," the chef said dismissively as she pushed open the door. "I'll take responsibility if she does go missing."

Theresa darted outside before the woman could change her mind.

Simply stepping out the door made Theresa feel remarkably better. She had never enjoyed being idly cooped up on a glorious day, or any day barring the worst weather.

Being changed into a cat had apparently not changed everything about her. There was something amazing about being outside under the beautiful blue sky that made her feel free.

The lawn around the castle was evenly clipped. A butterfly fluttered across her path. She walked around the structure of the castle, looking at the walls and the structures.

It really was an attractive castle and it no longer seemed foreboding, whether due to the sunny day or her increasing familiarity with the place. In fact, it now seemed much more welcoming than her own, but that might just be due to the lack of Francine's odious presence.