Chapter 24

There were humans around producing that odd yapping gibberish that humans were inclined to make when they were together.

If she had cared, she might have noticed the rhythms of the sounds were fast and agitated, but that was no concern of hers. What she was far more concerned with was how to remove herself from their clutches.

She was not particularly afraid, but she was annoyed that they seemed intent on interfering with her. They had captured her and brought her to this confined place. Although the place did seem familiar... It jogged at her memory.

"Theresa!"

A memory of food... She was perhaps a bit hungry.

Somewhere in the back of her mind she was aware that humans were sometimes useful for procuring sustenance, she had encountered such creatures before.

Although she was perfectly capable of hunting her own prey, perhaps she could still do with one of these gawky servants to care for her needs. It might be tolerable so long as it could remember its place.

She looked more carefully at the humans scuttling around frantically.

These ones had a familiar scent, perhaps they had offered food before. This whole place seemed comfortingly familiar.

"Theresa!"

Although she could do with less of these ridiculous panicked noises. The high pitched cry of the smallest one was too loud for her sensitive ears and it foolishly sounded like wounded prey.

"Thomas! It's like she doesn't even recognize me! What happened to her?"

These humans really were familiar. They also seemed to be agitated about something, although she felt quite indifferent.

Except, that odd flicker of vague memory made her think that she perhaps should care what these particular humans were thinking.

How odd. She scratched her side and then began to clean her fur.

The high pitched one was making an odd sort of racking sobbing sound now, but she could not fathom its purpose. Again, was it trying to call the attention of a larger predator? What madness.

Still, she felt an odd unexplainable twinge, like her juicy cornered prey had escaped when she had thought it was a sure thing. She looked at the crying human more closely, but could not place what it was about the human that gave her pause.

Aside from the worked up human, there was not anything particularly interesting happening in the room, so she once again considered her hunger.

Perhaps they really would feed her. It was an encouraging thought.

If they did not come through with a food offering soon, she would prefer to leave. When one of them left she could make her escape and find her own meal.

"Lady Theresa?" One with a deeper voice seemed to be talking to her. He too smelled familiar.

A jolt of memory, she had spent time with him before. She vaguely recognized him.

His expression looked unhappy. Was he angry and disappointed with her again? Still?

The memory of the last few days she had spent at Wildwood came back to her in a rush.

She looked over to see her sister, still crying. She looked really worked up.

How long had she been gone? The time that had passed was hazy and indistinct in her memories.

It was day again. She could see the sun shining through the window. Perhaps she had been gone all night.

"Theresa?" Daphne asked again, close to hysterics.