Chapter 41

Theresa had not realized how tired she felt until she reached the comfortable room she had been assigned. For the first time since escaping Francine, Theresa had a room entirely to herself.

She did not know where Daphne was situated and for once Theresa truly did not care. Her sister was likely with Sir Thomas and Theresa would find her soon enough.

The maid left and Theresa discovered that all of her borrowed possessions from Wildwood were already in the wardrobe, most likely thanks to the maid who had accompanied them.

She selected a nightgown, changed with some difficulty and crawled into bed. She truly was exhausted and there was little enough for her to do before their meeting with the king the next day. She closed her eyes and tried to drift off into sleep.

Theresa could feel a sort of heavy feeling on her chest and her mind felt disconnected. She had a niggling feeling of unease in the back of her neck, as if all her hair was standing on end.

She was certain something was wrong. Perhaps there was something she had forgotten. The world around her seemed murky and insubstantial.

She decided to get up and find out what was the matter. Lying in bed would do nothing to solve potential problems. She tried to move her arm, but found it quite unresponsive. She pushed harder with her whole body and nothing moved.

She was paralyzed.

Long moments of panic flew by as she tried to comprehend what was wrong with her body with a fuzzy mind. This had happened to her before, but Wildwood had no cause to interfere with her movements when she was lying bed.

There was only one wizardress who might have a reason to inflict such magic upon her, but what even might Francine gain from this?

It did not feel exactly like paralyzation, however. It felt different, like the true problem was in her mind.

If it was coercive magic, it was stronger than before. Francine was clearly putting more power into the spell so Theresa could never escape again.

Theresa could feel her stomach heaving and she thought she might be sick. She did her best to remain calm.

Finally there was a knock at the door and a maid entered the room. She asked if Theresa needed help getting dressed.

Theresa's mouth agreed. Theresa could barely comprehend what was happening. Her body moved as if she was merely a drowsy spectator in her own mind.

Once ready, Theresa was escorted by Wildwood towards the throne room.

"We're early, Lady Theresa. Might I have a word with you?" he asked.

She agreed but her mouth did the talking.

He led her to a small sitting room and sat down with her on a settee.

"Lady Theresa, I must confess something. I have admired you since the moment that I returned you to human, and I should like to spend the rest of my life with you, if you'll have me."

Even in her dizzy and fearful state, Theresa's heart danced happily in her chest. She realized the idea of his regard pleased her greatly, though she had been loath to admit it before.

"I'm sorry, Lord Wildwood. I cannot return your feelings," she heard her mouth say, as she had rejected so many suitors before.

Theresa panicked in her mind. She wanted to dissolve into tears and tell him that she was being controlled again, but her treacherous eyes would not even tear up.

"I appreciate everything that you have done for me, my lord. I suppose our close association has given you the wrong impression of my feelings."

She wanted to shut her mouth, scream, slap her own face, bang her head against the wall, anything to signal that something was wrong. She did none of those things. Anything to let him know that she was not in control of herself.