Chapter 29

Theresa looked in all the likely places that her sister normally was found, but Daphne was in none of them. As she was walking around, she found herself in the path of the nasty housekeeper.

"Lady Theresa, I presume?" the woman said stiffly.

"Yes. Missus White, I presume?" Theresa answered in a similar tone. Better to pretend to not know who the housekeeper was. If Missus White suspected that she was the cat that had shed fur all over her pristine castle, Theresa doubted it would make dealing with the nasty woman any easier. Not to mention Theresa still did not want anyone else to know the truth about her.

"Yes, I am Missus White. Is there something that I can do for you?" Her tone said exactly the opposite.

Theresa put on her false polite tone in response. "Yes, actually there is. I'm looking for my sister, Lady Daphne."

"I believe that she rode out with Sir Thomas not long ago."

"Thank you," Theresa said, her tone dismissing the other woman. The woman needed to learn who outranked whom.

Missus White looked slightly affronted by the dismissal and carried herself away with her neck stiff. It was probably a lot harder for the housekeeper to look down her long nose at Theresa when she was easily an inch taller than the older woman.

Theresa smiled.

Her smile faded.

Daphne was out riding with Thomas again, of course. She might have known.

Theresa shrugged her shoulders. Daphne could do whatever she liked. If everything worked out and Thomas turned out to be worthy of trust, she supposed she should be happy for Daphne.

It was a lot easier to be genial that possibility now that Theresa could give well deserved verbal set downs again.

Theresa decided to go to the kitchen.

She walked quickly through the halls and pushed open the door.

The chef was there. "Good afternoon, my lady," she said quickly. Theresa realized suddenly that she must have forgotten to eat a midday meal. Her stomach did feel rather empty.

"I seem to have missed lunch. Could I have something, please?"

"Of course you can." The chef seemed to have been about to add something else, when the door swung open again. "Oh, hello, Matt. Matt, meet Lady Theresa. She is Lady Daphne's older sister."

"N-n-nice t-to m-m-me-meet y-you, L-lady T-t-theresa," he said with his eyes downcast, clearly more uncomfortable than normal. It seemed to Theresa his stutter became more pronounced when he was nervous.

Theresa felt bad for the boy. His would not be an easy life. She responded as kindly as she could, "Nice to meet you as well, Matt. Is that short for Mathew?"

"Y-y-yes, my-my lady," he said and he glanced up at her shyly.

His eyes grew round in his head as if Theresa had transformed into a monster. Theresa realized that he must have recognized her eyes.

She glanced at the chef, who shrugged her shoulders, clearly unconcerned. Matt would be the last person to tell anyone. Her secret was safe with him.

"Please fetch Lady Theresa something to eat, Matt."

He brought Theresa a plate full of food. "Thank you, Matt," she said.

"Y-you're wel-welcome," he said barely audibly. Theresa began to eat and Matt began to work. Chef continued to bustle around the kitchen.