Chapter 16

Theresa decided to go back to the wizard's study again and see if he was there.

He was probably still in the dining room, but he would be done soon. Theresa did not know where the dining room was so she could hardly just wait for him there.

Besides, that might be too obvious.

As Theresa walked through the halls, she heard a trickle of laughter. Daphne! Abandoning her plan to see the wizard, she followed her sister's voice into an open door.

Daphne sat in the dining room across the table from Sir Thomas. She seemed to be finished eating.

Theresa's eyes narrowed. So that was where Daphne had been, socializing with Thomas while Theresa had been stuck in their rooms.

Her sister was giggling at something that he had said to her. Theresa stalked forward.

"Do tell me more about yourself, Sir Thomas," Daphne said when she finally stopped.

"Well, I grew up at Harding. It's my parent's estate. It lies northeast of here," Thomas said.

"What's Harding like?" wondered Daphne.

Thomas smiled softly. "It's beautiful. There are lush forests, and the hills roll. From the highest points one can see the mountains to the north. It's not the largest estate in the country by any means, but I feel that it is better than many of the large, rambling states that have infested the country. I'm sure you would like it there."

"I think that I would, too." Daphne trilled. She was obviously not at all concerned that she had abandoned her cat sister to fend for herself.

Theresa thought that they had ignored her presence long enough. She walked straight under the table and leapt up onto her sister's lap.

"Theresa!" Daphne exclaimed. Theresa meowed reproachfully.

"Hello, Lady Theresa."

Theresa glared at Thomas in response. Then she glared at Daphne. Her sister needed to start taking things seriously instead of gazing adoringly at Sir Thomas.

Even though Daphne had been lucky enough not to be transformed, their aunt was still a very real danger to both their liberty. Did her sister really not understand?

If Francine got them back in her power again, she would probably never again let down her guard. They would be trapped until the day that Francine died. Francine had seemed in unfortunately good health.

Daphne looked at Theresa uncertainly. "I was wondering where you went."

Theresa glared again. She was quite certain that Daphne had not been wondering any such thing, what with Sir Thomas around to distract her. How Theresa was faring had probably not even crossed her mind.

"How did you get out of our room?" Daphne asked.

Theresa's eyes shot wide open. Daphne had knowingly shut her in the room? What had Daphne expected? That Theresa should wait patiently indefinitely? With an indignant meow, she leapt off her sister.

A small, honest part of Theresa knew that she was probably being a bit oversensitive, but she had been through so much that it hurt when one of the few people who knew her woes forgot her so easily.

The cat part of her did not care one way or another. It was clean, full and apparently safe.

Theresa waved away her feline satisfaction. She did not care that her physical needs seemed to be met. Everything else was wrong. She was helpless. She was angry.

Thomas sneezed. It only made her angrier. Theresa leapt from her sister's lap and stalked out of the room.

Daphne was clearly distressed at her actions and at a loss what to say to calm Theresa down. She followed Theresa out into the hall.