Chapter 20

It was Theresa's fifth day at Wildwood's castle. Theresa made her way up to Wildwood's study.

Missus White walked by with her customary expression of disapproval.

Theresa ignored her. She could not wait until she was again tall enough to look other people in the eye and had her mouth back. She would give the housekeeper the set down that she so richly deserved.

The fact she knew the housekeeper did not know her true identity barely lessened Theresa's annoyance at the woman.

Theresa heard Daphne talking from a sitting room. She decided to go see what her sister and Thomas were doing.

Daphne and Thomas were sitting on either sides of a table. Judging from the black and white pieces scattered on the table, the couple was playing chess. Theresa decided to watch. She walked over to the settee that Daphne was sitting upon and leapt up beside her.

"Hello, Theresa," Daphne said, without taking her eyes off the board.

"Lady Theresa," Thomas said, glancing at her.

Daphne moved a chess piece, taking one of Thomas' white rooks. She smiled. It appeared that Daphne was black. It also appeared that she was winning, to Theresa's surprise. Thomas sneezed.

Thomas made his move. Daphne made another. A series of moves passed rapidly.

"Checkmate," Daphne said with obvious satisfaction.

"You are an excellent player, Lady Daphne," Thomas said.

Daphne grinned. "Actually, I usually lose."

He grimaced. "Playing against whom?"

"Theresa." Daphne's smile grew wider.

"Remind me to never play with you," he said, looking at Theresa. Thomas sneezed again. "Excuse me," he added.

Perhaps Thomas was not that entirely terrible, Theresa thought grudgingly. She had thought that he was nothing but a shifty freeloader with a sinister interest in her sister. Perhaps he was just a freeloader with a interest in her sister that was not so much sinister as nearly indescribably annoying.

He was hardly the first fool to follow her sister around pathetically, but he was the first to whom Daphne had returned any interest at all.

He certainly took losing with good humor, but was it because he was too weak to protest, or strong enough he did not care? Daphne needed someone strong who could take care of her.

She eyed Thomas sharply, then shrugged. It seemed as if there was nothing she could do about their infatuation either way.

"Would you like to play again?" Daphne asked.

"If it would please you," he agreed.

Theresa watched while they lined the pieces into their proper positions. Theresa wished she could manage the pieces with her paws, but it seemed impossible.

Thomas sneezed again. Theresa looked at him quizzically.

"Nothing to be concerned about," Thomas assured her. "It's just that I have—" Thomas stopped suddenly.

Theresa eyed him with curiosity, wondering what he had been about to say.

"Nothing to worry about," Daphne repeated.

Well, that was suspicious. Theresa stared at her sister, unblinking.

Daphne squirmed. "Fine, I'll tell you, but you must promise not to be bothered by it."