Chapter 32

As Theresa rushed away from the rooms she had been sharing with her sister, she began to plan her journey.

The door from the kitchen would most likely be the best way to leave, so she strode in the direction. Perhaps she would ask the chef for some food supplies for her journey.

Daphne was following her. "I really don't think that this is a good idea."

"If you're coming, be quiet." Theresa muttered as she pushed open the kitchen door.

The room was empty, so she threw a loaf of bread from of the counter into her bag and then walked straight for the exit. She was so angry with Wildwood she did not care that he had turned her into a common thief.

The cool night air hit her face. She was glad that the partial moon was out because it would give them extra light. The lantern's glow was feeble but it would be more than adequate to get away. It was a shame that her feline form's excellent vision in the dark had not transferred to her human form.

While she walked, she fumed. She would not ignore Wildwood's underhanded subterfuge or pretend that she had any reason to trust him any longer.

She had known that something was not right; she focused on the bitter satisfaction that she had been correct to help her avoid the disappointment that she could not rely on him.

Bloody Wildwood!

She still did not know what his motives were but he had finally shown his true colors. She told herself that she did not care because she did not want to trust anybody.

Daphne was still trailing behind her, as if she were hoping that someone would come and carry them back to the castle.

Theresa at least gained grim satisfaction from the fact Daphne was at least carrying her travelling bag, reluctant though she may be.

"Theresa, why don't you talk to Lord Wildwood about it?"

"When has talking ever helped with anything?" Theresa asked.

"Your plan for dealing with Aunt Francine entirely revolves around talking to the king," Daphne pointed out dryly. "Why not talk to him?"

"I've got nothing to say to Wildwood," Theresa said through gritted teeth. She had plenty to say to that untrustworthy wretch, but she had other pressing matters to focus on instead.

"We could at least ask him for a coach. My feet are already hurting," she begged.

Theresa laughed harshly. "We've barely been walking an hour. If we asked Wildwood for a coach he would probably make us stay. Clearly one cannot trust a wizard."

"No, he wouldn't. He's made no move to restrain us. Besides, you trusted the Wizard Jim."

"A foolish act of desperation. He was probably in on it since he sent us to Wildwood."

Daphne's voice was pleading, "Theresa, I think your anger is making you irrational. It's dark out. We should at least wait until morning."

"I'm not being irrational. Would you just cease your prattle? I need to think."

"I think we—"

"I think that you should be quiet. If you are too afraid to come, turn around and go back. Just stay at Wildwood and let Francine and Thomas and Wildwood steal your inheritance and control your life! I can go alone," Theresa said, feeling angry. She was weary of Daphne's reluctance.

She knew what she had heard. She had never felt quite at ease at Wildwood and the reason was now before her eyes.

Her suspicious instincts had been correct. Perhaps her cat mind had been trying to warn her, though it too had been lulled by the wizard's calm mannerisms. Had she not started to warm up to him once she had been returned to human?