Chapter 23

Theresa could not remember falling asleep by the fireplace, but she was brought back to wakefulness by chef's voice.

"What happened to you, Theresa? Your face, your poor ear..." She sounded concerned. Theresa did not bother to do anything to respond.

What did it matter?

"Stay right here, my lady. I'll be right back." The chef rushed out of the room and the door banged shut behind her in her haste.

Theresa wondered what was the point of suggesting that Theresa remain when she was trapped regardless. She supposed that she could escape through the window if she really wanted to go. It was still sitting wide open.

After a short time, the chef returned. Theresa was surprised to see Thomas of all people.

"What happened to her?" he asked. He sounded concerned, just like when he had been sympathizing with her aunt. She narrowed her eyes at him.

"I don't know. I found her like this. The window was open so she was probably outside."

The chef lowered her voice, probably because she did not want Theresa to hear. She did not lower it enough. "Can you save her ear?"

"I don't know," Thomas whispered back. Theresa wondered how bad it really was. She did not want to lose her ear, but she still felt oddly calm about the ordeal.

The chef whispered another question too loud for Theresa not to hear. "Will it carry over when she is transformed back?"

Thomas shrugged to indicate that he apparently did not know.

"Don't worry, Theresa. Sir Thomas is a healing wizard. He'll put you to rights," the chef assured her. Theresa supposed that neither of them realized how sensitive a cat's hearing was, never having been cats themselves.

"Relax," ordered Thomas. She wondered if he would have dared to speak to her that way if she was in her human form. Would he still be bold enough to trail after Daphne if Theresa had her human tongue to ward him off?

He was clearly concentrating, unaware of Theresa's suspicious thoughts.

She was not sure what he was doing, but she just let him. She doubted Thomas would want to harm her and Wildwood probably would not look upon the matter too kindly if he did harm a guest.

Her face and head were becoming increasingly warm and then almost unbearably hot. She wanted it to stop. She meowed demandingly. She wanted him to explain what he was doing.

It was all she could do to keep the nervous cat inside her from trying to run away.

Her face finally began to cool and Thomas stepped back.

"Your ear looks much better, Theresa! Sir Thomas has healed it! Thank you, Sir Thomas. I was quite worried about her; I don't mind saying so now."

Theresa's ear did feel fine again. She twitched it experimentally. She could feel that there was still blood plastered on her fur, but the pain was gone.

Had she really come close to losing her ear? Would it have transferred over to her human form?

Assuming that she ever even got back to her human form.

"She'll be fine now," Thomas pronounced. "Missus Allendale, could you please clean the blood off? I don't want Lady Daphne to be upset when she sees her sister."

Theresa could not help but notice that he was worried about Daphne's reaction to seeing Theresa's blood, as opposed to being worried about Theresa's discomfort at having the side of her head caked in it.