Chapter 28

Theresa walked to one of the bookshelves in the wizard's study.

All the books seemed to be about various types and uses of magic. She thought about going to the library to find something lighter, but it would seem odd if she came back up after that and she rather wanted to stay.

She continued to read the titles on books.

"The Use of Magic in Weather Prediction."

"Very imprecise and very difficult," Wildwood said. Theresa had not realized that she had spoken out loud until he answered.

He added, "If you want to read about magic there is a beginner's text somewhere on the left side of the bottom shelf."

"Thank you," Theresa agreed. Perhaps it would be a good place to start. She knelt down and shifted through the books.

"A Beginner's Guide to the Aspects of Magic?" she asked.

"That would be it."

"Thank you," she said, and sat down to read.

THE NATURE OF MAGIC

Magic has been a part of the world since it was first formed out of shadows and chaos according to the oldest myths and legends. There have been various conflicting theorems of magic during the history of the use of magic.

There is much superstition surrounding purveyors of the magic arts and at certain times throughout history they have been ruthlessly persecuted. Modern opinions are somewhat more progressive on the matter, but there are still those who consider the use of magic to be evil or unnatural.

However, magic is much the same as human use of the body, a tool put towards whatever good or evil end the user intends as their purpose. In this same way, magic is much like a weapon that can be either used to protect and defend the innocent or harm and conquer what does not belong to the user.

Magic is not evil, it is rather a tool and it is the will of the magic user that lends the magic to either good or evil ends.

Neither is magic something unnatural. Indeed it is the force of the will behind pure existence.

Magic, in its various forms, allows the world to continue as it always has. One can observe the workings of magic as objects fall to the ground and as the sun moves across the sky. Magic maintains the composition of the matter of the universe.

Magic is the force behind the movement of life and the energy by which thought is powered. Magic is the energy behind life and existence and all of creation.

THE TWO FORMS OF MAGIC

There are two basic forms of magic used by magic users, external and internal magic. External magic is magic that is drawn from the natural magic of creation. Inherent magic is magic that is drawn from the caster's own self existent will.

External Magic

External magic is typically the type of magic that is used by witches and warlocks. Magic that is cast in this way are called charms and curses, respective of the perceived intentions behind the magic.

The most commonly used charms are those of healing. The most common curses cause pain or death.

External magic users frequently bear negative and only occasionally undeserved reputations.

The chief trait of the external magic user is that they require ingredients for their charms or curses and the duration of the effects are determined by what they have used. Occasionally external magic can be near permanent and it is possible to see effects that last beyond the life of the charm or curse.