Part 10

Echo sat up with a gasp, her hands clutching tightly to the arms of the chair she had half settled into only a couple of hours before. She glanced around, wiping the sweat from her forehead and remembering where she was. 

It hadn't been a dream. Although, just like all the other nights before this one, it revolved around him. But tonight, unlike every other night, tonight he was here... in person... just a few feet away. She sat forward in the chair, putting her elbows on her knees as she perched herself forward, watching his chest rise and sink rhythmically.  She'd half expected him to look as harmless as any other person while they slept but no, not him. He looked just as dangerous or maybe even more. 

Echo glanced down at her feet before noticing the light that was creeping in through the windows.  Shit. What time was it? She'd hardly slept all night, just kept waking back up to check on and him and surely enough, he'd developed that fever she'd been paranoid over. 

She pulled her phone out of her pocket-almost 6. Her family would be up and about soon if they weren't already and they'd be down to breakfast shortly. She needed to move quickly, didn't need cook seeing her wander into the kitchen. Echo stood and stretched. What a horrible place to sleep but then again, it wasn't like she would have gotten any  better sleep upstairs anyway. Echo knew she wouldn't have slept a wink knowing that this man was down in the pool house. 

"Luke." She said, wondering if he would hear her call his name.  Nothing, he only continued to sleep. He must have had a rough night too. Echo wondered if he noticed that she'd been there, checking in on him.  Then, because she was embarrassed, she quickly moved out the doors, afraid he'd catch her watching him. 

As she made her way up the lawn and past the terrace, she didn't miss how wet the grass still was from the rain. There was no way she would have been able to drive anywhere in last night's weather. 

"Well, well, well... what is this?" 

Echo glanced up, eyes wide, her heart still in her chest. 

"Hi." She said, staring at Maru, who was now leaning against the kitchen counter with an grin that curled from ear to ear. 

"Where were you?" Maru asked, walking around and reaching towards the refrigerator.  Echo glanced around, cook hadn't made her appearance yet. 

"Where are mom and dad?" Echo replied nervously as Maru poured herself juice.

"Still upstairs... it's pretty early." Maru said as if it was a weird question. Echo nodded. 

"What are you doing up so early?" Echo asked. Maru was usually the last out of the bed and she certainly never looked this upbeat at breakfast. 

"I have to go into the city this morning." Maru said, rolling her eyes. She turned to Echo, who was now moving towards the stairs. "What about you?"

"What about me?" Echo asked. "I'm always up at this time."

"Yeah..." Maru nodded, knowing this was true. "But what were you doing out on the terrace?"

"I... was just..." Echo began but the sound of something scraping on the terrace door made them turn. 

"Rocko?" Maru said, putting her glass down and walking over to the terrace door. "I was wondering where he was when I woke up. Did you let him out?"

Echo stared as Maru opened the door and let him in. 

"Well?" Maru asked, making Echo look back at her. "Did you let him out?"

"Yes." Echo said. "Yes, I came down for some water and decided to let him out for you... closed the door behind me out of habit."