Part 63

"Echo, would you take these out to the table, please?" Alice said with a big smile as she handed Echo a basket full of bread rolls. She'd been watched her all morning, ever since she appeared at breakfast, surprising everyone. They weren't expecting her for several hours more, and they certainly weren't expecting her to be alone.

Echo gave them a short, simple, little story about how Luke had been held up with work and Adelia had decided to stay behind with him. Of course, everyone thought it was a shame but didn't think anything else beyond it. But Alice, well- Alice wasn't born yesterday and she knew these girls better than anyone, after all, she did carry them for nine months and then raise them. They thought they were so clever, always whispering among themselves and thinking she was clueless. There was certainly things that Alice didn't know but she knew everything she needed to.

Like right now, as Echo smiled softly and moved to place the bread on the table- she could tell that behind the smiles, she was hurting. She didn't know what had happened or what they could have fought over, but it was obvious to her that Echo and Luke had a fight. Still, she wouldn't say anything to anyone, even Echo. If she didn't want to talk about it, she wouldn't force her. She'd just shower her with love and affection.

Echo helped set the table for lunch quietly. Her parents, being the wonderful and generous people that they were, always insisted that staff have Christmas eve, Christmas and the day after Christmas off. So, usually, at this time of year, they were left to fend for themselves. They were lucky that Alice cooked very well, otherwise they'd be ordering in since no one else did.

No one had questioned her story this morning, they didn't even ask why she arrived so late the night before. That was for the best, less questions meant less lies.

Somehow, she'd expected to be a little more relieved to be home, thinking she'd find comfort to be around her family. She did, she really did but she also found it to be extremely lonely. It wasn't so much that she wasn't with Luke, it wasn't like she needed him around all the time. The problem was knowing that something was wrong, that Luke was angry and that she didn't know why. She just couldn't find peace, even in her own bedroom, knowing that she and Luke weren't right.

To make things worse, her parents had her room fixed up to be more comfortable for her to share with Luke so even her sanctuary wasn't much of a sanctuary.

No, what was worse was that she'd been so angry yesterday that she'd left Baby behind. She'd cried herself to sleep thinking about the little pup.

"Here." Romy said, handing Echo a few linen napkins. Echo pulled out a chair and began to fold them carefully, not noticing that Vera had been watching her the entire time.

"So..." Romy began, sitting next to her and helping her with the napkins. "What did you get Luke for Christmas?"

Echo looked up at her and frowned.

"Seriously?" Echo asked.

"Well, did you want me to ask the obvious?" Romy asked and Echo shook her head. "There, you see? Sometimes, small talk is the right thing to do."

Echo watched as Romy fumbled with the napkin, folding it and refolding, looking more than a little frustrated because she couldn't get the quite as neat as she would like. Such a simple task but Romy had zero talent for these type of things and less than zero patience for things she had no talent for.

"Give me that." Echo said, taking the napkin from her with a chuckle.

"Finally." Romy said, tossing it at her playfully. "You know, Vera is bringing that guy tomorrow night for dinner."

"Really?" Echo asked suddenly remembering the guy that Vera brought to the wedding.

"Yes." Romy said softly. "She's been seeing him a lot lately."