Part 34

"What are you doing here?" Ben asked as Echo walked across the main floor of the office.

"I'm have a final fitting for my bridesmaid dress and I agreed to meet Romy and Vera for lunch." Echo said with a sigh.

"And you brought that thing to a fitting?" Ben said, looking into the big bag and pulling out the small puppy.

"His name is Baby. He's not a thing." Echo said as she watched Ben cradle him and scratch it behind the ears.

"Baby? Oh god, you're going to turn into one of those women that take their small dog everywhere and treat it like a person, aren't you?" Ben asked and Echo laughed.

"Maybe but for now I'm just nervous about leaving him alone all the time. He really is just a baby." Echo said. "Where are the princesses anyway?"

"In a meeting." Ben said simply.

"And you're not?" Echo asked, thinking it was strange.

"They don't need me there." he said. "It's just strategy for the Ark."

Echo felt her heart skip a beat. The ark. She hadn't heard from Luke in over a week now, more than the last time they fought and she'd begun to get nervous that he might not ever apologize.

But she couldn't always be the one to bend...

"With Lu-- Mr. Farina?" Echo asked.

"Yeah. George is in there too but Mom and Dad are in their offices." Ben said and Echo nodded.

"Well, I guess I'll pop in and see them really quick." Echo said, reaching and taking the dog from Ben.

Echo's eyes moved back towards the door of the conference room as she walked, acutely aware that Luke was just beyond it. She had to control an impulse to go in there and give him hell for not apologizing yet. Instead, she turned back towards her mother's office with a smile.

"Come in." Alice said as she heard the knock.

"Hi." Echo said, walking in.

"Hey. What a surprise." Alice said with a smile.

"I'm waiting for Romy and Vera." Echo said and Alice nodded.

"Right, for the fitting." Alice said. "What about Maru and Lena?"

"They're meeting us there. They had class this morning." Echo said.

"I can't believe George is getting married next month." Alice said.

"I know. It went by quick." Echo said.

"Well, they did everything really fast. Engaged and married in a couple of months." Alice said. "it's too fast really."

Echo raised her brow. She knew that her parents care very deeply for George- he was practically one of their own- so it was strange to see Alice seem so unhappy over it.

"Something wrong?" Echo asked and Alice sighed.

"No but I don't think they should have rushed into it." Alice said.

"Don't you like Karen?" Echo said.

"She's nice enough but she reminds me of George." Alice said and Echo frowned.

"Isn't that a good thing? Doesn't that mean they're extremely compatible?" Echo said and Alice shrugged.

"I suppose but I feel like if they're too alike... what fun is that?" Alice said.

"Well, good old George is probably looking for peace over fun." Echo said practically.

"I know, I'm afraid of that." Alice replied.