Part 55

"Hey! Nadia!"

Nadia watched as Grace practically ran to her, trying to catch her before she disappeared into her apartment building. She'd seen her a couple of times at work but Grace always seemed to busy to talk and she knew that the situation had to be uncomfortable. It was for Nadia, at least, and so she decided not to pressure Grace and give her time to wrap her mind around it. 

Luke married Echo. There was no changing that, no way around it and Nadia really liked her. She really liked that entire family... except maybe for Ben. That man was just a big child. She shook her head, telling herself she was lucky she wouldn't have to see him again. Despite the way everything seemed to run so smooth at the wedding and the way that Echo's family had really taken to Luke and Adelia, there was still something bugging Nadia. It was her- Grace. Her only friend since she could remember and there was no way that she could just push that all aside and forget her. 

"Hi." Nadia said with a tentative smile as she turned to face her. 

"I didn't see you at work today." Grace replied as she reached her. 

"I took the day off." Nadia said, tucking her hands into her pockets. 

"Well I noticed that. I almost didn't believe it when they told me. Nadia taking a day off?" Grace said with a laugh.

"There's been way too much going on lately, I needed a break." Nadia said, letting out a sigh of relief as she saw how casual Grace was being.  

"I thought you might say that, so..." Grace held out a bag hanging from her wrist. "I brought donuts."

Nadia laughed. 

"Oh my, that's perfect." Nadia said, "Come on."

Grace knew Nadia so well, she knew that when she was tired or upset, there was nothing that could quite put her back together as well as something sweet. Boy, did Nadia have a sweet tooth and now, as she unpacked the donuts and offered Grace coffee, she remembered that she also had a very sweet friend. 

"I missed you." Grace said, sitting across from her at the counter. 

"I did too but you didn't have to stay away." Nadia said.

"I didn't want to make things awkward. I know I was acting irrational, it was just sad to realize I wanted something and know that I realized it too late." Grace said. Nadia watched as Grace folded her hands in her lap... was she blushing? That was strange. Grace had never seemed so contrite before. 

"It's awkward, I know. But I'm glad we're having this talk. We can get it all out and then move on with our lives." Nadia said . "I know it might take some time but eventually, you will move on."

"Yeah... I know." Grace said, "I'm not used to losing." 

"I know that." Nadia replied. 

"She seems like a nice person." Grace added and Nadia nodded. 

"She is. They're happy." Nadia said. Grace looked up at her. 

"He loves her?" She asked. 

"I think so, although you know how he is. If he does, he won't talk about it." Nadia replied. Grace stood, walking around the room for a moment before nodding to herself.

"Well who knows?" Grace said, laughing and shaking her head. "Maybe one day, when enough time has passed, she and I can even be friends."

Nadia knew that was doubtful, she had a feeling that there would never be any type of natural friendship between those two women but still she smiled.