Part 14

"Don't worry about those bastards, we'll find them." Marco said as Luke lay back in the bed. The Russo brothers and their men had disappeared, left the second they disposed of Luke, and there didn't seem to be a person around who knew where they'd gone.

"I'm not worried. I know you and I know you'll find them." Luke said firmly. "Where's the girl?"

"Same place. Last time I checked, she was still sleeping." Marco said. "She must have been very tired."

Luke raised his hand, signaling for one of his men.

"Go wake the girl, bring her here." He said.

"Yes sir." The man said, exiting the room.

"Good idea. She seems like a good girl, I think it's best we send her on her way as soon as possible." Marco said.

Luke was quiet. He'd slept all day and soon he knew he'd fall asleep all night. He was tired but thanks to his doctor, he had minimal discomfort.

"She took very good care of me." Luke said, thinking about it as he said it. He had in fact been very surprised by how well she cared for him. He didn't know where it came from or why but he hadn't been able to stop thinking about her. He'd seen her in his dreams, hovering over his bed side and placing a damp cloth over his forehead. He wasn't sure if it was just a dream or maybe he remembered vaguely that she'd sat with him the first night.

Then his dreams had taken a surprising turn. The images that floated in his mind were no longer of her concern, instead he'd pictured holding her in ways that sincerely surprised him.  He'd seen her blush that exact same way she had as he whispered things to her she'd never heard before. When he woke, he was surprised to find that he wanted to see her more than anything else. It completely blew him away, unexpected to say the least. 

She wasn't ugly, she was just not his type. Somehow, he couldn't help it, he wanted her. He wanted to do everything to her in real life that he had done in those sweet dreams.

"I would say we could reward her but from I found, the girl has her own means." Marco said. He'd been surprised to find that she was a very wealthy girl indeed.

"I know." Luke said, trying to form a coherent idea. He had a feeling that if he asked her to stay voluntarily, she would not but if he forced her to stay, she would hate him. He was not the type of man to force himself on any woman but he was not ready to just let her go.

"So then, what are you thinking? I can tell those wheels are spinning in your head." Marco said but then a knock at the door, made them both turn. 

"Come in." Luke said, watching as Echo stepped in nervously. 

"Leave us." Luke said, his eyes fixed on her. Marco nodded, turning and walking out of the room.

Echo stared at the bed, the shade from the curtains blocking out most of Luke's face. She couldn't tell if he was smiling or in pain- she couldn't see the expression at all. Which was good for Luke, because at this moment he was criticizing all of her and wondering what in the world it was about her that attracted him that much. Maybe after a few days around her, he would realized he didn't want her quite as much and then the problem would take care of itself.

The clothes would have to go, he thought. He couldn't be seen with her if she was dressed like that. He could tell she was a very innocent girl and so he would have to take his time with her, but he would be happy to take good care of her if she let him. It was true that her bank account was as big as his but there was other things he could offer her.

"Come here." he said, his voice ringing across the room. Echo moved slowly, trying to see his face before she got too close. There it was... the scar and somehow seeing it made her feel a bit more secure.