Part 69

"Oh, I'm sorry." Echo said, nearly tripping over a rack on the sidewalk and bumping right into someone's back. 

"It's okay... hey!" Nadia said, turning to see who had hit her. 

"Hi." Echo replied, eyes a little wide as she recognized her. She hadn't seen Nadia since before the whole mess with Luke started and was feeling a little embarrassed now as they stood outside an old bookstore. 

"How are you?" Nadia asked, shifting uncomfortably and pushing back a loose strand of hair. 

"I'm doing okay." Echo replied, feeling equally awkward. "You?"

"I'm good too." Nadia said with a smile. The two women stood quiet for a second, both searching for something to say as they looked around the nervously. Then...

"I'm sorry." They both blurted and both made an equally confused face. 

"You?" They both said. 

"Why?" Again in unison as they expressed their surprise. 

"I'm sorry." Nadia repeated this time, shaking her head and taking a step towards her. "I'm so sorry."

Echo was taken aback. 

"Why are you sorry?" Echo said. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for putting you in such an uncomfortable situation. Sorry that you got stuck between Luke and I. That must have been really hard for you, having to tell him what you saw."

"What I thought I saw." Nadia said. "If I hadn't reacted immediately, if I had just walked out to greet you like I planned... none of this would have happened. I have a real problem with keeping my mouth shut. I blurt things out before thinking. This entire mess was my fault."

"Of course not. You did the right thing. Do you think I wouldn't have done the same if it had been one of my sisters or a friend?" Echo asked.

"No, you're the most damn patient person I know. You probably would have thought things over before acting or speaking." Nadia said.

"Probably but overthinking things means I miss out on a lot. I don't blame you for what happened, Nadia. I'm glad you cleared things up." Echo said with a sigh, feeling  little sigh. She couldn't blame Nadia for Luke's behavior either. He acted that way of his own accord. Echo hated that she was being so petty. First Grace and now Nadia- she couldn't blame them to try to justify Luke's actions. She refused to be that person. 

"You're a saint." Nadia said, making Echo laugh.

"No, the saint in our family is Vera. Now there's a woman who does too much for nothing in return." Echo said, making Nadia smile.

"I can't believe people like you exist, let alone an entire family of them." Nadia said.

"I'm not that great, Nadia." Echo said, "I think and do a lot of things I shouldn't. I'm just better at hiding them." 

"I think you are." Nadia said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I think you're everything Luke needed to get his act together."

Echo's smile faded and Nadia knew what she was thinking of. 

"Echo, I need to talk to you." Nadia said, making her glance up. She looked around, noticing how many people were nearby. "In private."

Echo raised her brow. 

"Sure, do you want to go grab lunch?" Echo asked and Nadia shook her head. 

"No, damn it." Nadia said, looking down at her watch. "My lunch break is pretty much over. Can I come over after work?"

"Of course. Adelia and I will wait for you." Echo said. 

"What time will Luke be home?" Nadia asked.