Part 18

"Yes, that's fine and two waters with that." Luke said to the waiter without really glancing at him. Echo watched silently, taking in the details and frowning. She heard Luke give a lot of orders, demand a lot of things but please and thank you didn't seem to be something he said regularly. 

She waited, leaning back in her chair, brow raised- her fingers tapping rhythmically on the table. 

"Well?" She said after a few more minutes. He turned to her and reached out, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You should wear your hair down, it suits you more." He said with a smile. "Although, I hope you won't mind me saying that this is already a huge improvement."

"You have a really bad habit of giving orders." She said, feeling very annoyed.

"Someone has too." He said with a shrug.

"Whatever. This is getting out of hand." She said, "I came to talk to you about my family, to understand what your business plans were. I'm listening."

"I don't like talking business with women I'm dating." He said simply and she let out the most unladylike snort.

"We're not dating!" She said in adamantly.

"I'm treating you to a nice meal, it's just the two of us, you're all dressed up for me... it sounds like a date." He said, loving how red she turned. What was it about that blush that fascinated him?

"You made me dress like this." She said accusingly.

"No, I didn't. You had a choice, get dressed and go to lunch with me or go home. You chose to get dressed." He said and she narrowed his eyes.

"Don't you do that. Don't turn this around and make it like I wanted to be here." She said.

"So why are you here?" He asked.

"Because I want to make sure you're not going to get my family in trouble." She said and he sighed.

"Listen, I already told you- the Ark is a perfectly legitimate business. Their involvement in a project like this will only benefit us both. It was something I planned to do anyway and eventually I would have asked them and a half a dozen other groups for a proposal. " He said, "this way we just skip he bidding war and I go with the best. Because I know, they're the best."

She stared at him for a moment.

"Luke, Why me? What's so special about me? Have you seen me? I don't even know how to speak to people." She said.

"You seem to do pretty well around me." He said with a shrug and then he turned to her. He'd been right, the dress looked amazing on her. "Besides, from this angle what I see is quite lovely."

She blushed again. She hated it, damn it. She could feel it every time it happened and this man was capable of making her blush on command.

"What if I don't want to be involved with you?" She said, "I was perfectly happy with the way things were before."

"I don't believe that." He said, reaching out and grazing her cheek with his fingers. "I felt how you reacted to me when we kissed... do you need me to remind you?"

"That doesn't mean anything." she said, sounding unconvincing.

"It means everything." He replied. He moved in closer to her, admiring the pretty lips and wishing he could just kiss her... right now. "I know, I know. The drive is a little long but I can drive out to you or we can meet in the middle."

Echo watched him completely dumbfounded. This man was just planning out an entire relationship without really giving her a say.

"I don't get it, I just don't get it. We just met..." She began but he shook his head.