Part 50

"Basketball?" Echo said dumbly as she watched Luke take off his jacket and tie. The net was set up against one of the garage doors where it had been since Ben was 19. Before that it had been replaced regularly after he moved out, they hadn't even bothered removing it. Once, one of the gardeners had offered to take it down but Alice had refused. She was just very sentimental over it. 

"What did you think they were going to do?" Lena asked, appearing beside Echo.

Echo tried not to blush- she wasn't about to admit that she thought they had a fight on their hands. 

"Not basketball." She muttered. "Does Luke know how to play?"

Adelia shrugged. 

"I don't think so... at least, I've never seen it. I've never seen Luke do anything that made him sweat." Adelia said, making Echo chuckle. 

"I can't imagine him playing basketball." Echo replied. She knew he worked out, he had to. Otherwise, how could he look as perfect as he did? Echo let out a sigh, a long, dreamy sigh. But she'd never seen it... she only ever saw him looking impeccable as always. 

Echo blushed... that wasn't necessarily true. She shook her head. This was NOT the time to be thinking of THAT. 

"Do your brothers play?" Adelia asked, watching as Ben began to dribble the ball. 

"George a little, Ben played in high school." Echo said, "They're gonna kill him."

"I think that's the point." Lena added, watching the game carefully. 

"Those two feel like they have to establish their dominance... men." Karen said from where she was sitting. The family had their staff set up a few chairs and a table, and now they were all getting comfortable. 

"Luke." Echo said as he handed her his things. 

"Yes?" He said, turning to look at her and noticing her frown. 

"What are you doing?" She asked and he smiled, dashing as ever. 

"I'm going to beat your brothers." He said, leaning over and giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Wish me luck."

"Men." Romy said from where she'd seated herself. "I don't understand it. Sports in general."

"Romy, you spend 6 days a week at the gym. You're the epitome of fitness." Vera said. 

"That's different." Maru volunteered. 

"Correct, Maru." Romy said without batting an eye.

"This is great." Adelia said suddenly, making them all turn to her as she laughed. 

"What is?" Echo asked. 

"This... siblings fighting, teasing each other. It's great." Adelia said enthusiastically. 

"Didn't you and Luke do this type of thing?" Echo asked. 

"Well, Luke is a lot older. He just sort of... spoiled me." She said. 

Echo turned back to Luke, watching as he ran around with George and Ben... doing absolutely horrible. She couldn't help it, a smile curled on her lips. 

"George tells me all the time how lucky he is to have found the Reids." Karen said. 

"Found them?" Adelia asked, confused. 

"George isn't actually our son." Michael said. 

"But he is." Alice added with a smile. Adelia turned to Echo.

"He fits in perfectly, I thought he was your brother too." Adelia said and Echo nodded. 

"I've known him all my life... he is another brother to me." Echo said.